Notices

Help! I need to know what to do!

Old 09-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Witch Doctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I need to know what to do!

I have an '89 civic with engine problems. If I drive 5 miles, the oil light comes on and then soon after that the car stalls. The shop said the problem was something with the oil pressure. But he said I would need to replace the engine! But what exactly could be wrong? Do I really need to replace the ENTIRE engine?? I love my car! I want to revive it! Please send some advice this way! Thanks in advanced!

WD
:driving:
Old 09-21-2003, 03:08 PM
AwwsChwA

Good news and bad news. Bad news is, if a GOOD Honda mechanic (I say that cuz many are simply flunkies who managed to pass an ASE test) told you that it needs a new engine, it probably does. Often it will cost far far more to repair everything (especially with a problem as rare as yours) than it will to simply replace the engine.

Good news is, you can get complete used Honda engines, some complete with manifolds and sensors, for less than 400 bucks. The 88-91 Si engines are getting harder to come by, but a SOHC ZC is the exact same engine. Unfortunately, if you race with the SCCA at all, a SOHC ZC will screw you as far as being competitive.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:21 PM
S2Kev

Default Re: Help! I need to know what to do!

Originally posted by Witch Doctor
I have an '89 civic with engine problems. If I drive 5 miles, the oil light comes on and then soon after that the car stalls. The shop said the problem was something with the oil pressure. But he said I would need to replace the engine! But what exactly could be wrong? Do I really need to replace the ENTIRE engine?? I love my car! I want to revive it! Please send some advice this way! Thanks in advanced!

WD
:driving:
You might just need a new oil pump.