Notices

body molding..can it be painted?

Old 09-19-2003, 06:29 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body molding..can it be painted?

can the stock molding around a crx be painted? this is an on going question between a few friends and is undecided. can plastic molding like the half black bumpers be painted? mirrors can..they look to be the same black stuff..opionions?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Kirby

yes, they can very easily be painted. but you just have to make sure that the color matches perfectly.

one of the guys on the board could probably give you a link to instructions on how to do it. but i can't think of one off the top of my head.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:14 AM
jc836

YES they can. Mine are, but it requires a bit of special prep to do it right. As for the bumper covers-they require a special chemical in the paint to make it flexible. For other plastic parts you can prep with a product called "bulldog" that helps the paint adhere to the material. All of this stuff is available at a professional autobody supply house.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:49 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

yes, it can and SHOULD be painted.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:26 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

ok so the next question... stock all around and pianted 1 color...or kit? the stock all around painted would make ti look kitted..kinda but is this thesible? or would it look ghetto and like a mexicar? (no offense just around here you can tell those cars from others)
Old 09-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Kirby

Originally posted by malfuncion
around here you can tell those cars from others
yeah, the wide-body mitsubishis with sanches writen in big gothic letters on the back window and the virgin mary hanging from the rear view mirrior...

but back to the question. I personally like the look of an all painted rex. just don't be like some people and painted it some bright neon color like lime green.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:05 PM
rexerin
beep! beep!

when my project rex goes to get painted (hopefully soon!!) i've always planned to have the bottom of the front and rear bumpers and side skirts painted and i'd like to have the door handles painted as well, but i've seen some that get the center molding (the line that goes all the way around the car) and it peels off. dunno if its just bad prep, bad paint, or if the surface doesn't take paint well...
Old 09-22-2003, 02:11 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

anyone got pics of a rex with body moldings painted? id like to see how it looks actually done...its definately an option to the wings west kit!