Notices

throttle body spacer

Old 09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body spacer

do throttle body spacers really help? they say they add HP but is it worth the $110 ? do they really help all that much, they boast increased atomization and and "airflow vortex". would it help me out on an all motor setup with the oversized tb and ported manifold? any comments greatly appreciated. also please someone help me out with the rear seat question i posted@!
Old 09-20-2003, 07:01 AM
dingusjt

the throttle body spacer is a classic mod for high hp engines, v6's and v8's..

now to my understanding (could be completely wrong so don't flame) is that it merely increases the size of your intake manifold allowing greater air flow. However, for our cars i think its a pretty good waste of money.

Also some of them mention "vortex" and crap simpling meaning that the way the aftermarket throttle body is contoured inside apparently creates a smoother spiral or air into the engine thus making it more efficient?

again i think its crap. i think for $110 get a light port-polish and open up your intake runners and exhaust ports would be a better investment.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:19 AM
AwwsChwA

You're right about the increase in intake manifold volume, but it also places the carburetor further away from the engine, which allows a cooler and denser fuel/air mixture fllowing into the manifold.

That being said, I'm not sure the spacer would be effective on a Honda engine, because the throttlebody is already well away from the cylinder head, and the intake manifold has a snout already that the throttle body sits on. It is worth a shot, though, but certainly not for 110 dollars. That's ridiculous. I can make one in the machine shop at school, does anyone have dimensions? Find out what material they use, and find me a blueprint if anyone can. We'll see if it works.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 AM
dingusjt

oh yeah thats right all it takes is a little CNC machining just like making turbo manifold adapter plates...i never even thought of that, i know a guy that makes them for like $40 shipped....hmmm i see profits!!
Old 09-22-2003, 10:26 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

thats kinda what i figured.. how about the spon venturi plate? this is supposed to create another vortex or some shit..and its made by spoon..any opinions on that thing? it goes between the manifold and the head.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:18 PM
AwwsChwA

Well, if Spoon did the research for the part, it may actually have some benefit at high RPM. It might help promote swirl. But, I'd still be a little leary of any kind of spacer or "swirl" device for a street engine. Bottom line is, for what you'll pay in parts (the spacer, new gasket(s), labor time, beer, etc), you won't see much of a gain on a street engine.

One thing that occurred to me in regard to maching my own throttle body spacer, though, is that I'd also need to put longer studs into the intake manifold to hold the extended throttle body. It's now seeming like more work than it's worth, at least until I can finish my degree and have some real time to tinker with things.