Notices

Speedometer Question

Old 09-15-2003, 06:55 PM
kd5dbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer Question

OK... dumb speedo question. Is there a trick to removing the speedo needle on a base 89 civic other than just pulling straight up on it like you do on the Si one?

I'm wanting to swap odometers (to keep the *correct* showing) when I put in an Si cluster. The only thing keeping me from doing it is swapping the part with the speeds on it. Gently pulling up on the base one doesn't move it and I don't want to break the thing.

Thanks!

P.S. Just to keep the flames to a minimum (I hope), I'm not try to defraud anyone... I'm trying to keep the origional odometer on the car while doing the Si cluster change out.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:24 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

You can't remove the needles on them without damaging it.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:49 PM
hconner3

hello
I have a 91 civic std, i swapped the cluster to get the tach, and mine pulled straight off. with a little muscle. I don't know if they're exactly the same, i know the dimensions and size of cluster got a little more curvy with the 90-91, but you should still be able to remove them. How the #$@# did they get them together in the first place. I know they are not press fit, because the parts are to small, and they would break stuff on a regular basis.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Glue, maybe?:dunno:
Old 09-17-2003, 06:49 PM
kd5dbl

Originally posted by hconner3
hello
I have a 91 civic std, i swapped the cluster to get the tach, and mine pulled straight off. with a little muscle. I don't know if they're exactly the same, i know the dimensions and size of cluster got a little more curvy with the 90-91, but you should still be able to remove them. How the #$@# did they get them together in the first place. I know they are not press fit, because the parts are to small, and they would break stuff on a regular basis.
Well... to get totally technical, I'm trying to take the odometer from a Nippon Seiki cluster in a put it in the custer of a Nippon Denso (I think I spelled them right). The needle for the Denso does just pull right off. But the one from the Seiki cluster does not. I considered applying a little heat, but it will have to wait... work has me swamped this week.

Thanks!