Notices

brake, throttle cables--how to check

Old 09-05-2003, 08:02 AM
glueslabs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake, throttle cables--how to check

[i am a beginner--i do not know what i'm talking about.]

as you may i have seen from my earlier thread, i recently replaced the alternator in my '88 Civic DX. i ended up going through the top. i unmounted the brake fluid thing, disconnected a hose or two and bingo.

i have two problems now: the car is idling very high and my brakes are squishy and weak.

I figured out where my throttle cable is. I have not yet made any adjustments to the idle because i noticed that if i lift the gas pedal, the idle returns to just about where it should be. This tells me something's up with the cable, right? I drove it a bit, and everytime i would let off the accelerator, it would not go back to idle. So where do I look for problems? You think it's sticking somewhere or what?

For the brakes: I know I moved the brake cables a bit when I removed the fluid dealie. What could I have done? What do I look for there?

Thanks in advance for the help; I really appreciate it. I'm learning, though, and my Helms will be here next week.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:21 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

did you reconnect the vacuum tube from your intake to the brake booster?...that would lead to a high idle.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 AM
glueslabs

i'm pretty sure i never disconnected that. the high idle almost definitely has to do with the throttle cable. thanks.

i forgot to mention the squealing. when i first start it up, there's an initial screech. a belt right? how do i know? tanks.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:22 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Those aren't brake cables. They are called hardlines. Brake cables are the things that pull on your e-brake.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:37 AM
prostang460

If you disconnected your brake lines and master cylinder, you now have a metric asston of air in your brake system. You need to bleed all of the air from your brakes.

Check the throttle rotor to make sure its not sticking before you buy a cable.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by glueslabs
i forgot to mention the squealing. when i first start it up, there's an initial screech. a belt right? how do i know?
That would probably be the alt belt. Did you use a new one? Is is tensioned properly?

How to tell: Start the car, hop out, and look for the source of the noise in the engine bay. If you just worked with the belts though, it is most likey one of them. That's pretty much the only source of loud start-up screeching under the hood.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:34 PM
glueslabs

i believe you're right, kai. i was unsure about the alt belt. i kept the old one. i don't know if it's tensioned properly. how can i check this? and should i buy a new belt to be safe?