Notices

Tranny Swap?

Old 09-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Scrub91DX
Un-Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Swap?

Im just curious how hard it would be to change my 91 Auto to a Manual i wanted a manual but i got my auto for really cheap, what all would i need to change it over to manual and is it really worth the effort/money?

-Matt-
Old 09-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

you can do it yourself. proly the second biggest pain in the ass to do.

i would expect it to take me 4 hours, but i am EXTREMELY pokey when it comes to working on cars.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:29 PM
LSVTECKING
rebuilding

Alot of times it is cheaper to just buy a 5 speed and sell the auto. But if you do the work yourself its not to bad and pretty straight foreward just alot of staring at manuals.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Redlinerz

Here is what you need..Tranny (of course), shiftlinkage, shifter,pedals,clutch cable, a couple feet or wire (because you need to run the reverse lights), clutch,and flywheel. It is also recomended that you change your power booster and raditor but you don't HAVE too. I have done it before without switching the 2. If you have any questions just let me know. And it isn't that hard to do, the hardest part is the pedals because it is such a small place but a swivel and some extensions and you should be fine.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

oh shit, i thought you were just swapping tranny for tranny. i think the dash has to come off for the pedal install, that would slow me down.

in that case id say 8 hours plus.

is there a different fuel map for a manual ECU vs the auto one?
Old 09-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The autos and manuals use different ECUs, I don't remember off-hand the difference but they don't work well if at all on the wrong transaxle.

The auto probably has a different mount point then the manual. If that is the case, the old one has to be cut out and a new one welded in. It is one of those things I prefer to think of as, "If you have to ask, you probably can't do it."

The axles may be different, too.

8 hours sounds optimistic. That's less then a day's work.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Redlinerz

The dash doesn't not need to be removed. Simply remove the seat and look under there. I think I remember there being 4 bolts holding the pedals. There are 2 long plastic things that look like covers(for the a/c) they need to be taken out and there is a bolt behind there. Disconnect the gas,break,and clutch and voila! Out come the pedals 2 I never heard of a auto and manual computer. It is either a Pm6, Pm5, Or Pm9 I never seen a automatic or manual in front of them..and when ordering one they don't even ask so I wouldn't think so. As for the axels it depends if you putting in a 5sp(which i hope you do but your call) Then you have to change the shorter axel and the hub( the part the axel goes in) You need to do this because of the spindle count. Finally run 2 wires from the tranny to where the automatic shifter used to be for the reverse lights and voila! Your done It can be done in 8hrs if you did it before..like I said the hardest part is the pedals after that it is easy. Let me know if you got any ???
Old 09-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Scrub91DX
Un-Registered User

ok well now its just finding a whole set up for cheap, thanks for all the input

-Matt-
Old 09-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Redlinerz

Check the junkyards..or get yourself a totaled car that was manual.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Scrub91DX
Un-Registered User

well my fiances mom owns a junk yard but they only have a few older civics and stuff and they dont really get alot of the 88-91 models in the only one there now is an auto. so ill have to check around at the rest of the junk yards around town. Thanks

-Matt-