Notices

HELP!!! Car won't start!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Redlinerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Car won't start!!!!!!!

Okay here is my problem. I own a 1990 Civic hatchback. It was a 1.5l (DPFI) 5 SPD. I just recently got myself a 1993 D15b V-Tec engine. I put the engine in using a SI manifold but I didn't use a SI distributor, I just left the 93 dist. I followed instructions online on doing the whole DPFI to MPFI and to my knowledge I got everything hooked up right. I only ran into one problem with the dist. wires but I solved it. My only problem now is the car won't start. I checked for spark and i got spark. I checked the fuel coiming out of the filter and it got fuel. It just won't start though. I had a friend over one day and he insteaded on using starter fluid to see if it would start. I didn't want to cuz I knew fuel was going to the manifold, but we tried it anyways. But SURPRISE the car started. It turns on with the starter fluid for about 2 seconds and dies out. I don't know whats going on. Also I an start the car if I hold my foot down on the gas while I am starting it but it dies out. Can anyone help me out. I have no clue what is going on here. Thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 10:16 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Sounds like your timing is off. Because when you pour in the starting fluid your having a small supply of fuel in each cylinder so when they get spark the ignite, but once that supply is gone your ignition isn't sparking at the same time your fuel injectors are squirting so its not going to be able to keep running. Check the belt timing first than check distributor timing.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:51 PM
HELLracer
Rex runner

This may be a stupid idea but any idea might work.
Check your compression, see if everything is tight and/or has a gasket. I had that similar problem, I got my zc wired up and it would start up then die, she would stay running if I held the gas down but once I would let off she would die. I knew I needed a exaust manifold gasket so the next day I put one on and tightend it down she starts up and stays on. I felt hella stupid after that, and after messin with my firing order and dist. Stupid huh!
Old 08-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

the motor shoudl start fine without an exhaust manifold. examine your timing.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:08 PM
Redlinerz

I never had touched my timing though. The engine came with all the belts already, all I did was take off the pulley so I can take off the timing cover to switch the motor mounts. Does it matter how I put the pulley back on? I moved the ignition around a bit and it still don't start. Does anyone else think it could be just a exhaust gasket? I dont want to have to take that all apart if I dont got too. But it will start if I hold my foot on the gas so I don't know. Help please
Old 08-31-2003, 08:11 PM
Redlinerz

Also you think my fuel injector order could be wrong? Would that be the problem? Tomorow I am going to look at the colors of the wires and post them to see if is in the right order.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:46 AM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

i'd say timing is way off.. by you pressing on the gas and cranking it over, your letting a little bit of fuel throught the pump by doing so, then your ignition will fire that fine but then once again will be off once that is out of the system.

it won't be your exhaust gasket/intake gasket.. that doesn't do that.

also when you did the swap did you take off the head to make sure it was at TDC (top dead center)???
Old 09-01-2003, 07:35 AM
Redlinerz

NO I didn't do nothing to the engine. When I got it, it was complete. All I did was switch the intake and exhaust manifold, and the motor mount that's it. Also When I go to start the car my main relay is making a clicking nosie. From experience I have found out that was because of a ground not properley grounded. But it is grounded, right on the thermostat housing. Could my relay be bad? Someone told me that my problem is that my fuel pump turns on when I first turn the key but it is not turning backing on when I start it. What do you's think
Old 09-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

why havent you checked your timing? you already told us you took the pulley off, so check the bloody timing.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Redlinerz

How do I check my timing? The pulley is already back on. I said that was the only thing I took off. For me to check my timing I'm going to have to take the pulley back off and all the belts. But I don't think it would be timing because I never touched my timing. How do I check if my relay is bad?