Notices

HELP!!! Car won't start!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no

you need to take the wheel off and jack up the car, rotate the pulley to TDC COUNTERclockwise. once its there, (take your timing cover off), take a look at the cam gear. it should be EXACTLY, and i mean EXACTLY on the marks. if its off at ALL you could be almost 20 degrees out of time.

after that use a timing light to make sure its on spec, i believe you want 18 degrees BTDC on a honda SOHC motor. The belts do not need to come off to adjust your timing, only you have to find a socket wrench with a 14mm socket to loosen the tensioner if you need to move the belt

the relay is like $20, they're all bad, just replace it if you have a doubt.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:58 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Yes just rotate the pulley to TDC, look at the cam gear and see if they line up with the marks, if not that is your problem. Just because the engine came with a belt on there doesn't mean its set right. As for the pulley it can only go on one way so there isn't much you could have messed up.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

unless he lost the key.

the key comes out of the keyway, and if you donno what it does you could toss it out.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:14 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

When I took my pulley off I never even noticed the woodruff key. But than when the pulley kept spinning I knew something was up and found a little metal brick on the ground and thats what it was for.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Redlinerz

Okay tomorow when I wake up I am going to check it. I only have one question. How do I find TDC on he pulley? I don't remember seeing any marks. I know the cam gear has marks and the crank shaft gear had marks but I don't remember seeing any on the pulley. It is such a pain to take that damn pulley off though. I can't really do it by myself either cuz I need someone to hold the flywheel. Maybe I will try it with a impact gun. And I don't think the relay is 20 bucks they are more like $41. Thanks for the inputs though
Old 09-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Redlinerz

Just out of curiosity what do you think it will be if it isn't the timing? I am afraid the engine don't have any compression or is blown or something. My friend got this thing he got from sears that checks the compression in the engine but I think the car has to be running. Anyways but what would be my next step?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:33 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

check timing (which you should do always before you try to start) and tell us the symptoms, then we tell you next step... if you don't get the whole turning the pulley to marks, if you can get a new headgasket $50 or cheaper, put the camshaft pulley at TDC (both side lines at the heads wall and the UP mark up... pull off the head and see if the #1 and #4 pistons are at top.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by Redlinerz
Just out of curiosity what do you think it will be if it isn't the timing? I am afraid the engine don't have any compression or is blown or something. My friend got this thing he got from sears that checks the compression in the engine but I think the car has to be running. Anyways but what would be my next step?
i suppose it could be compression, but theyll start even with bad compression...just burn a lot of shit.

anyway, there is a red mark on your pulley that you turn to 12 o clcok top, there is a plastic pointer on the timing belt cover that will indicate when its lined up
Old 09-02-2003, 07:31 AM
Redlinerz

what pulley are yous talking about? The one that has the alternator belt and AC belt? Or the one that The timing belt goes around? I only know of 2 gear that have marks. The Cam Gear and the lower gear that the timing belt also goes around. I assume you are talking about the lower pulley that the timing belt goes around. Ima turn that to it's mark and the cam gear should be at all 3 marks right? If not i gotta losen the tensioner and rotate the cam gear to it's marks. I dont have to really remove any belts except the alternator belt right. This is what I think you guys are talking about. Let me know if I'm right or wrong.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Redlinerz

And does anyone have suggestions of how to get that damn Alternator pulley off?