Notices

Which car to get!!

Old 08-26-2003, 02:04 PM
BlueShadowDemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car to get!!

I am new to the forums, and just wanted to say hey to everyone first off! Anyway, I will be turning 16 in november, and I am looking for a car to get. Well, some of my friends have mustang gts, and one has a 98 vette. My parents dont have that kinda money to spend on me, and I am wanting to buy a car that I will be able to rely and at the same time I want it to be able to be tuned to where I can smoke the stang GTs I am not worried about the vette as much now as that is loooking a little too far down the road. I was looking at getting a CRX, but I dont know what I should really get to puruse this tuning. If I cant get the power from Honda, I will probably go with a Nissan 240SX. I would rather have Honda though This car will probably be Turbo eventually. Myself I am new to cars, but my father is a excellent mechanic along with my cousin (whose a big import guy). I am willing to learn everything I can about cars also. So any info on what car i needa get ahold of and what mods should be done first would be appreciated!

Cole
Old 08-26-2003, 02:08 PM
b_dyche
owned by a 9 car pile-up

By a beater for your first car, but maybe a project beater that you won't get too tore up about when you wreck it or drive it into the ground. If YOU buy it, you'll probably take good care of it (or at least better care of it)...

I'd reccomend nothing over $5K for a first car... they tend to be expendable, and the less you spend on the car, the more you can spend on mods...
Old 08-26-2003, 02:14 PM
BlueShadowDemon

Oh dont worry about that I am only gonna spend about $2500-$3000 max. This isnt going to be a brand new celica or something like that. I was lookin at a CRX, and my cousin said that it can be made into a gt killer with some weight reduction and a swap an engine from an integra gsr? I think. He said something like that would do it? Whadda ya guys think?
Old 08-26-2003, 02:36 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

an HF CRX with a b16 with a lightened flywheel and underdrive pulley intake and exhaust will be a pony eater for sure. i know from experience. add a few more mods and you can take out them cobras too
Old 08-26-2003, 04:11 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i'm selling my 88 crx hf (with d16a6 engine and i also have a used 14b turbo from a 1g eclipse that i was once considering a turbo build up for the car

i'm in northern va and can't tell where you are located as its not in your profile...the car needs some work but i don't have time anymore

a crx hf with d16a6 engine (unmodified) can easily keep with a stang gt and stomp on them in corners and braking (it ain't even funny seeing how a crx can really outhandle most cars on the road)
Old 08-26-2003, 04:20 PM
BlueShadowDemon

JaJe, I am located in West Tennessee near memphis. Yes, I have gotten to drive a CRX that was stock and it handles stock amazingly well.:thumbup:
Old 08-26-2003, 05:02 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

I would suggest getting a car and just spending a year or so avoiding accidents before trying to make it faster, and especially before adding turbo.

CRX's are light, which is one of their greatest advantages, and drawbacks. Putting a lot of power into one will make it fast, but far from easy to drive without a considerable investment in the drivetrain and suspension. Just keep that in mind.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:56 PM
static

If you got about 3 grand, do this. Try to get a crx already with an enine swap done to it or buy a cheap one for like 1,200 and use the rest of the money for the swap.
for the swap, I would(If possible) get a b18c(gsr) but, it is a lil expensive. If you cant get a gsr, get a b16a(sir gen 1) cause you can leave it as it is, or do an lsvtec or b20vtec.
here is about how the times go.
GSr crx-low 14s.(Should be able to take a gt stang
B16 crx-mid to high 14's
lsvtec crx(i think low 14s-high 13s)
b20vtec(mid to hih 13s)
Ps, when you beat a v8 stang or v8 camero and they ask how much horeses are you pushin under that lil 4banger, 350whp, say"no, im pushin less than 200" and usually there jaw drops to tha floor. It iis always fun
Old 08-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I agree with the statement that first cars are expendible. They really are, and usually end up wrecked or dead within a couple years. My first car was totaled after I had it about a two years.

Fast cars are not good first cars. Keep it near stock for a while, and just learn how to work with it. Do little modifications and start building your knowledge about how everything works. Learn what every sensor does. Learn how the engine works. Learn how to do basic repairs, then move on to the more advanced stuff. Cars are a lot easier to work with when you know what parts do what. Having a Civic and knowing how to fix and maintain it says a lot more then having a Mustang GT and needing your daddy to change the oil for you.

That said, I like hatchbacks more then the CRX. They carry four people and have more cargo room, it is a tradeoff for a few more pounds. No big deal.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:30 PM
FutureTegCiv

so what you guys are recommendin is a Civic h/b over a CRX, not bad but im lookin to get a Rex my self, maybe a 91 Si JDM of course.