Notices

si drag test/tranny problems

Old 08-11-2003, 12:20 PM
prostang460

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default si drag test/tranny problems

I finally took my 90 civic si to the dragstrip this weekend. Launching a front drive 4 cyl is way different than my big block stang, but I was still able to win a few races. Other than a 4-2-1 header this car is bone stock, so I figured it would be slow. I was right. My best pass was a 10.32 (1/8 mile track) 60ft was 2.38. Is this about average for these cars? In my best pass I was shifting at 6200 and went through the traps at a blazing 67.13 mph.

Luckily, no one in the front drive class knows how to drive. I went three rounds before a .497 redlight got me. I ran a 97 non turbo eclipse (11.52!) an automatic 93 Prelude (11.17) and Focus SVT (10.84). The Focus should have smoked me its got 170hp and a six speed.

Anyway, on the 14 mile trip back from the dragstrip everything was fine, until the offramp about 2 miles from my house. I downshifted while braking, came to a stop, put it in 1st and as soon as my clutch pedal was coming off of the floor the speedometer jumped to 30mph and the car was sitting still. I towed it home thinking I broke a cv. I pulled both out and they look fine. I'm not real familiar with front drive transmissions. Could this be the final drive gear? Are these gearboxes expensive to build? Is there a stonger unit I can replace it with?
Old 08-11-2003, 03:32 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Does the car try to move in any other gear? You might have just broken something in that gear [though it's pretty unlikely], if it doesn't move in any gear, it might be the final drive.

Both axle joints are still tight and don't spin independant of the rest of the axle right?

The tranny's aren't real expensive to fix, but it also depends on what my have broke. A good repair manual is a must though, since the steps you have to take to disassemble and reassemble them can't be mixed up. I've rebuilt 3 and still have to refer to the manual.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:22 AM
prostang460

Thanks 1stGen. Which repair manual has some good transmission info? I can shift through all the gears and it doesn't move. There are no strange noises or anything when I put it through the gears. That is why i had assumed it was a cv shaft, but both of them look ok. I will pull the gearbox out tonight and see if I can find something. Are there any other transmissions that I can use that will be stronger than this si unit?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:56 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

www.helminc.com for the service manual (the bible for these cars)

someone also might have a manual online in .pdf format
Old 08-12-2003, 05:57 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

for future reference...the crx is lightweight...in fact a 2g crx si could run mid-low 15 1/4 miles with no modifications but a good driver

when ford switched to the 4.6 liter engine and the even heavier chassis they were actually slower as they ran high 15 1/4 miles
Old 08-12-2003, 06:43 AM
prostang460

Thanks for the link jaje. How much lighter is a crx compared to my hatch? If I race this car again I'll prolly take out my subs and amps too. The subs weigh 28lbs each without the enclosure. Anyone got any tips on how to free up some power from my d16a6? btw I had a 98 4.6 GT and it was slow, my best pass off the bottle in that was 9.47 (1/8 mile). 8.60s with spray and no traction.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:08 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

For the transmission, a regular ole haynes manual will do fine.

Does the speedo still jump when you let out on the clutch in each gear?

My car did a similar thing that you're describing, but the speedo wouldn't move, and it turned out that my stage 3 clutchmaster's disk was in 15 pieces.

Regardless of what you find, now is obviously the time to upgrade things so it won't happen again. The Si tranny should be able to hold upwards of 130HP no problems, and you're not anywhere close to that yet. So my suggestions from here out are going to depend on what you find.

Edit: The more I think about, the more this sounds EXACTLY like what happened to my car. I bet the transmission is fine and you'll be in the market for a better clutch. Of course, I've been known to be wrong from time to time, but if I was a bettin' man...
Old 08-12-2003, 08:14 AM
prostang460

My speedometer still works in all gears. I've demolished quite a few manual transmission throughout the years, and all of them made some funky noises. This one doesn't. Hopefully it is the clutch, that would be an easy fix. I'll let you know what I find, if I get out of work on time I'll have it out tonight.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:17 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Well, if the speedo works, it's not the clutch [edit, and probably not any of the main gears, the speedo is run off of the final drive gear, so it has to move to move the speedo]. My second guess would be the differential, in which case, it's limited slip time
Old 08-12-2003, 08:50 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

http://www.opmmotorsports.com/produc...ccrx88_91.html

you can get a good clutch and lsd there

also you can easily find a used si tranny in decent shape for $100-$200