Notices

heating/cooling system screwed

Old 07-28-2003, 09:26 AM
glueslabs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heating/cooling system screwed

hey guys, i'm a new member here and need some help with my 88 civic dx. i don't know much about cars, so please forgive my ignorance.

my problem is that i can't seem to get the car to blow cool air from it's vents. the temp control knob doesn't do anything. the AC is no good. i can live with this. what i can't live with is feeling heat from the vents in the middle of the summer! i had the heating unit looked at a few years ago and was told the whole thing is messed up--i can't remember the details. (they did manage to break my glove box in the process, though)

so bottom line is: how can i lessen the output of heat into my car? is there something i can check for? a broken seal, something? i use this car for basic transportation and don't want to put much money into it. any help is much appreciated.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:33 AM
prostang460

I would check the hvac setup. Usually the plastic that holds the cables for the temp control and blower motor will get old and crack. Instead of the wire inside the cable moving, the whole cable will move and do nothing. If you remove the center console you can find the correct cable and pull or push the inner wire to close the heater.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:45 AM
glueslabs

thanks prostang; i'll give it a shot.