Notices

Making a 89 DX into a CRX

Old 07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
AceAltima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a 89 DX into a CRX

I'm a complete noob to honda's (with an exception to dirtbikes)

Anywho, after about 15 minutes of searching I've finally decided to make a thread

My bud has a 89 Civic DX, bone stock. He believe that the only difference between his car and the CRX was the intake and throttle body.

If this is true, how hard is it to switch the crx intake on the DX? Would you have to swap wireing harness's over, or be able to splice certain wires to make it work?

Sorry for beign confusing, it's hard to type somehting that you vaugly remember.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:44 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Dude, take a look at a Civic and a CRX. Civic is either a Sedan, Hatchback, or Wagon. CRX was a fastback hatchback. CRX is an actual name of the car, not a designation like HF, DX, Si...

I have a feeling what your friend is talking about is converting his shitty DPFI DX engine to a MPFI Si engine using the Si parts.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:22 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

i'm considering doing that and also puttin in an SI cam and an SI manual tranny on...i want a stick!!!dx knuckles and axles and stuff will work with the si jackshaft right?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:25 PM
AceAltima

No no no, not making it into a crx, but making the motor into one that is found in the CRX's of the same era.

We were at a slavage yard and he was showing me what he thinks he needs to change, but needed me to go online to find out if it's just a simple intake swap or more work then meets the eye.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It is 100% not worth the time or the effort. Anything that is different is different for a reason, and the CRX engines are rated the same as similar Civic engines. An aftermarket tube type intake will do more then any "conversion" you want to do.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:12 PM
krustindumm

CRX came as three models the base (now reffered to as "Dx"), the HF, and the Si. Which one is the CRX you are talking about?

The Civic DX has the same engine and fuel system as the CRX base/DX. They have 1.5L throttle body injected D15B2 engines.

The Civic Si (4D EX) and CRX Si also have the same engines, 1.6L port injected D16A6.

To put the Si fuel system (port injection) in a DX requires some wiring. Search google for "CRX MPFI Swap". Otherwise the DX parts are all interchangeable with DXs, and Si/EX parts are interchangeable with Si/EXs.

-Dustin
Old 07-26-2003, 10:06 PM
static

Dont do.If he wants an engine swap tell him to get a zc or b16a or b18a. Unless heavily modified, a stock crx engine sucks.