Notices

Are 17's too big

Old 07-14-2003, 06:11 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by crxb16er
yah but then what size low profile tires do u have on there and what do u pay for 1 tire?, im not saying it cant be nice but in my opinion id much rather run 15's and get 195/50 tires for 45-50 bucks apeice
Well I am more into performance than cheapness. I run a 205-40-17, and if I wanted to get some cheap tires for them I can get some for like 65 bucks a piece. I am just trying to put a different point of view in here since everyone thinks 17s are the devil.

And 165EJ1, how do you come to this conclusion? It is the unsprung weight that gets the car moving slow or fast. Are you saying that my 12.8 lb a piece 17 inch wheels put more stress on an engine and drive train than a 22lb a piece 15 or 16 inch wheel? Absolutely not.:bs:
Old 07-14-2003, 07:26 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by BTLFED
Well I am more into performance than cheapness. I run a 205-40-17, and if I wanted to get some cheap tires for them I can get some for like 65 bucks a piece. I am just trying to put a different point of view in here since everyone thinks 17s are the devil.

And 165EJ1, how do you come to this conclusion? It is the unsprung weight that gets the car moving slow or fast. Are you saying that my 12.8 lb a piece 17 inch wheels put more stress on an engine and drive train than a 22lb a piece 15 or 16 inch wheel? Absolutely not.:bs:
actually 165EJ1 is right, its not only the weight (which is not ur case since u have lighter rims), but the total diameter of the wheel including tire which determines how much power itll take to turn the wheel. just think of physics, the larger the wheel's outter diameter is the more torque it takes to twist the wheel around, the smaller the less torque it takes, weight is another factor, with larger wheels u gain a higher top speed and longer gear ratios, smaller u get faster acceleration and closer gear ratios, so both have their advantages/disadvantages (as well as others im too lazy to point out). of course with larger rims and tires u do have better traction and most people like the "look" of a full wheel well, with a very powerful engine u want the biggest wheels u can fit in order to stop the wheel spin at take off but since most of us do not have that much of a problem with "too much" power with our small zc's and b16's (or even double weber carb's ), a smaller tire actually makes our cars faster in most cases, i prefer the quicker fun car and dont concentrate on looks myself but just to give u props ur car looks very nice with 17's BTLFED, my car is my (abused) daily driver and although i use nitrous and have had 2 swaps on my crx so far, im neither into serious power or looks my car is made to suit my taste (and i wish more people would take this stance). build what makes u happy.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:56 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I think big wheels look stupid as shit on small cars, like a little kid with big ass Shaq feet, it just looks stupid. I wouldn't want any bigger than 15.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 AM
ragerized
dc4 ownerages

he does have a good point. its just looks and is unpreportional.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:24 AM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

CRXB16er, yes you are right to a point, but you also have to take into account the diameter of the wheel and tire combo. Example: If you put 17s on a WRX and put 225-45-17's on it, it is going to have about the same diameter over all as the factory wheel and tire combo. Therefore, if the 17 with tire is the same diameter as the factory wheel with tire and is lighter, you do not loose anything acceleration wise. You basically already said that, but I was elaborating. Believe it or not, my 17s with tires are almost the same diameter than my factory 14s were with tires and are lighter, therefore, I have lost nothing in the acceleration department. Actually, I accelerate faster because now I have traction lol.

Sorry, I should have elaborated on what I was talking about, so yes, in a way he is right, but the point that I made is right too.

And my 17s look just fine on my car, thank you! But 18s look like wagonwheels.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:43 AM
crxb16er

yep BTLFED understands perfectly, with the same outer diameter tire diameter as a smaller tire u are able to get bigger width tires on there which will allow for greater traction, and if u spend a good deal of money u can get them to be light also, but unfortunately most people put really heavy 17'' wheels on their car or put on chrome (which is really heavy) and wonder why their car is slower, my 15's are the same diameter as my old hf 13's but they are heavier, so if i run my 13's i get amazing results once i get traction but as for cornering and stopped (well i cant very well at all with those tires)
Old 07-15-2003, 01:43 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Yeah, I don't believe in that heavy crap at all, that is why I bought the CP8Rs. I had 17" Toxxins before and they weren't all that heavy, but I figured since I was getting an awesome deal on the CP8Rs, they are light, and they are black with a polished lip (I have always wanted Black wheels with a polished lip lol) I would jump on it. I honestly don't think that 17s look bad on CRXs at all, but like I said, 18s look horrible. I feel ya on the traction thing.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:09 PM
static

Originally posted by crxb16er
yep BTLFED understands perfectly, with the same outer diameter tire diameter as a smaller tire u are able to get bigger width tires on there which will allow for greater traction, and if u spend a good deal of money u can get them to be light also, but unfortunately most people put really heavy 17'' wheels on their car or put on chrome (which is really heavy) and wonder why their car is slower, my 15's are the same diameter as my old hf 13's but they are heavier, so if i run my 13's i get amazing results once i get traction but as for cornering and stopped (well i cant very well at all with those tires)
So if i got lightweight 205/45/zr17's do you think that it wouild perform just as good if not better than stock rims or 16's.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Caster Troy SI
bye ashley, hello leah

get 205/40/zr17's if you lower it... unless you want to cut out the fender wells.