Notices

zc axle question.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:00 AM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zc axle question.

what year axles are u supposed to use for the zc, i have 89 axles and i found out that they are too short by ripping the inner cv joint apart after about 5 minutes of slow driving, worst feeling in the world when it finally snapped apart, i was reading that ur supposed to use 90-91 integra axles is this true? i guess the shop i got mine from just thought 89 integra's would work the same and im here to tell u all they definitely wont, the passenger side one will work but the tripod assembly is almost falling out
Old 07-12-2003, 03:16 PM
crxb16er

back to top, come on someone has to know exactly what year i should be trying to find, i now realize the shop i was buying from does not know enough to recommend a good shopping list of parts b4 a swap and i should have confirmed more b4 i began this swap, because it looks like it'll be another 3 or 4 days before i am able to drive it, already had a downpipe made for the 421 zc header, and had the a universal cat built into the straight pipe right under the motor mount points with a decent heat shield for 300 dollars (not a bad price i felt, cuz i had them do alot of welding and custom fabrication on the angles of the downpipe and they had to do it from scratch with sections of pipe, that were cut in half, to finish the bottom of the header to the straight pipe, entire system is 2 inches from the header back to the straight pipe and then 2 1/4 the rest of the way back
Old 07-12-2003, 03:39 PM
crxb16er

nevermind found it myself on the zcr site: directly copied and pasted.

First of all the easiest setup is to use whatever USDM axles you already have since you won’t have to buy extra parts that way. Only drawback is no intermediate shaft to help eliminate torque steer. This is more apparent the more power you make. There is less torque steer with the intermediate shaft setup but more things to buy or get together to do correctly. First you need the intermediate shaft the one from an 88-89 Integra will not fit any other D series block than it’s own and some of the old Civic motors we don’t care about. A B series one is a bit different also so don't even try it. You need a ZC intermediate shaft. The OBD 1 and OBD 0 intermediate shafts are the same I have compared them side-by-side and they are identical. You also need to get the half shaft seals from a 90-93 Integra. Use 90-93 Integra half shafts. The passenger one on the passenger side and the driver's side one on the driver's side just like an Integra. I thought one time that 88-89 Integra axles might be longer since they are made for a D series engine’d car which you would thing was over all shorter from the end of the intermediate shaft to the other side of the transmission than a B series motor. So you think the 88-89 Integra ones would be perfect, but they are actually shorter for some reason, perhaps the suspension differences in the older torsion bar setup form the Integra is just not as wide at the hub distance as a double wishbone suspension setup. In any case I blew one of the driver's side 89 Integra axles apart at the inner CV under normal acceleration in a straight line. I now have a 90 Integra axle on the driver's side again as my stupid idea didn't work out and cost me $70 to get the correct axle. Apparently though the 89 Integra passenger side reaches fine since I have that one there right now and it has yet to begin clicking. Although the boot looks to be stressed slightly compared to when I had a 90 Integra passenger axle there. To sum it up I am saying use the 90-93 axles not the 88-89 axles as they don't work very good unless you like them falling out all the time and leaving you stranded on the side of the road.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:58 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I could have told you it was 90-93 Integra axles.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:44 PM
crxb16er

well where u 2 weeks ago b4 i blew out an axle and almost broke my leg when this 89 one blew out the inner cv on me, the exact same thing happened to me as the guy who originally posted that on the zcr, i dont really care but the axle broke cuz i just bought a rebuild kit fixed the boot and filled it with axle grease and took it back and said it was the wrong one and they took it back no questions asked but i sure did f* up my leg cuz i had my foot on the clutch as i engaged the driveshafts and it jolted the pedal so hard i pulled 2 muscles in my leg from the impact and am limping like a dead legged gimp. really hurt i just sat there in the car holding my leg for a good 5 minutes b4 i even got out to see the axle laying disconnected from rest of the shaft after the cv boot ripped off and the tripod assembly got spread down the street. not to mention the nice pile of axle grease that got laid out nicely along the bottom of my car.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:04 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Well that sucks that it happened to you. I have a website with tons of How-Tos including a ZC Swap How-To which says use 90-93 Integra axles if you use the ZC Intermediate shaft...

http://www.fourthgenhatch.com/zc.html
Old 07-13-2003, 07:34 AM
WhiteRice

Glad to see the ZCR site could help you out!!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:30 PM
crxb16er

Finally getting the replacement axle's in today, so hopefully i'll be driving the car tonight with no problems, now its just not breaking anything else anytime soon that ill have to work on, someone just gave me a t3 turbo off a volvo 740 thats in great shape isnt in need of a rebuild so im strongly considering turboing the car just started finding parts today, found an intercooler for 80 bucks and a BOV for 60 we'll see if i can make a turbo kit that is reliable for less than 600 bucks with a donated turbo, i dont think id want to push more than 4-6 lbs just to keep it on the safe side, plus i have my nitrous dry zex kit to hook up once ive broken in the engine a little bit, so should be good fun.