Notices

sohc vtec vs. zc

Old 07-13-2003, 08:21 PM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone has been schooled, but then again i kept my mouth shut when the topic was thrown out there.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Man, I'm down to my shoulders... And yes, I have been schooled.

The issue still remains, that people throw the 3 engines into one conglomeration of an idea as one engine...
Old 07-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Honda is already pretty confused with the codes, the "ZC" just happens to be the best example.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:51 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I'm pretty sure all these stupid engines just say ZC on the block stamp so that is why people get confused. The biggest thing is people saying DOHC VTEC ZC which there was of course not one.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:34 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

The main thing you'll see with a ZC, any ZC is technology ahead of it's time. AKA, for the technology you get out of a ZC, you will find much updated stuff with just as much or more power. The ZC VTEC engine is very similar to the SOHC VTEC's we're familiar with in this country in the likes of the 5th gen Civic EX and such. So similar in fact that the power output is near identical, however, the ZC VTEC is MUCH older, not to mention a lot more rare. I've been lucky enough to see one first hand, but I won't hold my breath on ever seeing another, let alone ever getting a photo opportunity to have as definate proof for years to come . The story is simliar with everyone's favorite ZC, the DOHC version. You can find at least as much performance from an Integra LS engine, but when you realize that the ZC is nearly a decade older than the LS, it becomes pretty apparent [at least to me] what the ZC designation has always meant.

IMO, it seems that the ZC designation was given to "factory hotrod" engines that some engineers at the factory were playing around with. After getting some decent performance numbers out of them, they were able to still put them in production cars, albeit in limited numbers. The ZC engines have always been the grandfather guinea pig type engines in the Honda performance stable, just as the B series engines served as testing and production proving grounds for the H series and now the K series engines. The other supporting arguement I offer for this theory is that all the ZC's are right around 130HP in output, coincidence? I think not, more like seeing how many different ways the engineers could play around with to get the same power goals from the same displacement. Production R&D, very .
Old 07-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
IMO, it seems that the ZC designation was given to "factory hotrod" engines that some engineers at the factory were playing around with.
Yeah, but you would think they'd be nice enough to call them "ZC", "ZC1", "ZC2", etc.
Originally said by Kai
Sh*t... Sh*t, Sh*t!...
:exnbp:
Old 07-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Caster Troy SI
bye ashley, hello leah

i learn something new about my car (engine... d16a zc sohc NON-v-tec) everyday!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 02:17 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Hold up there bud... If your engine has any other code besides ZC, it's not a ZC. The ZC is a D-series engine essentially, but do not have any D-series designations, their engine code is just ZC.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:36 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
Hold up there bud... If your engine has any other code besides ZC, it's not a ZC. The ZC is a D-series engine essentially, but do not have any D-series designations, their engine code is just ZC.
Yeppers if it says d16 then its a d16 engine not a zc, and yes KAI i agree it sure woulda been nice to have a zc1,2,3 but unfortunately not everything is simple, and working on cars requires an intense amount of patience sadly, still waiting on parts for my car to make it run how it should
Old 07-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by Caster Troy SI
(engine... d16a zc sohc NON-v-tec)
Assuming it's a D16A6, you have a normal stock engine. Nothing special about that. It is significantly weaker then a ZC, too.