Notices

Putting An H22 motor into My 91'CRX

Old 07-06-2003, 06:41 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless I think we all agree that an H22 in a CRX is not worth it.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:48 AM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. If the author is still viewing this post, here's the thing:

You need to figure out how much money you want to spend to go fast. A SOHC can be installed for a mild power gain for really cheap (only requires engine and any applicable wiring changes). But, you'll never have that throw-you-into-your-seat power until you start getting into some pretty serious internal engine modifications, which makes the budget go through the roof.

If you want some good low-end grunt for your car, a B18A or B18B is a good choice. It's not VTEC, which means no wiring changes. It's lots stronger than a SOHC engine, and it won't add extreme amounts of weight to the nose of your car, so only mild suspension upgrades are needed (springs, sway bar, strut bar to name some). You'll need the same mount kit and shift linkage that's required for any B-series or H-series engine (not the same exact parts of course, but the kit is required for all of em).

If you want yet more power from a B-series, you can go with a B16A (the torqueless wonder), B16B (Civic Type-R), B18C (GSR) or B18C5 (Integ Type-R) engine. That will require all the above B-series stuff plus some wiring changes to accomodate the VTEC and stuff like that.

The next step up for big power would probably be to build a frankenstein engine, like the LS/VTEC or CR/VTEC. That's gonna cost a bundle to get tuned and running well, but the rewards will be pretty big.

But, like we all said earlier, that's about the top of the line as far as engines go. An H-series engine is not feasable for a safely drivable CRX or Civic. It's just too big. If you STILL insist on more power, start stacking on stuff like a turbo, nitrous, all that nifty crap. Just be aware that, the faster you go, the faster your bank account goes too. Ok, I think that about sums it up
Old 07-07-2003, 12:31 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only problem with a frankenstein is if the head, they leak oil and if head is not machined well they can blow seals out ying yang.......not very dependalbe.