Notices

vtec......good or bad?

Old 07-03-2003, 07:23 PM
onelowhatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec......good or bad?

In some ways Vtec is an advantage and a disatvantage. Half the people i know want a Vtec engine and the other Half want a non Vtec engine. Whats up with this?????? I am kinda in the middle, i dunno if i want a ZC or a B16A1.........with a B16A1 u have more HP but u have to spend more on motor mounts and shit......and since im trying to go Naturally Aspirated then the extra HP will help......but i am concerned with the VTEC i gots a couple questions

1)Will Vtec mess up my engine in any way when i get my ZEX nitrous later?

2)If i get a Vtec controller with the B16A1 will that freaking help at all?????? some1 told me it dont do shit and another person says it helps time when ur Vtec kicks in...

3)If i had a ZC with the exact same modifications as a B16A1 and they had the exact same HP and the B16A1 didnt have a VTEC controller and the engines were both like 150whp which 1 would win???????????????

4)and can u find more modifications for the ZC engine or the B16A1 engine????? cause that is very important......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ....... thx for all the help guys
Old 07-03-2003, 07:28 PM
onelowhatch

Default modifications modifications modifications!!!!!!!!!!

the modifications thing is the most important to me.......if u cant find easy bolt ons and shit then its not worth getting the engine.................thx again
Old 07-03-2003, 07:29 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

1. VTEC will not mess up your engine, Honda designed your engine for VTEC, therefore it will work very well. You are more likely to **** up your engine with Nitrious since your engine was not designed to have that.

2. VTEC controllers only help of your engine is modified such as more agressive cams, it will allow you to select when you want VTEC to kick in, this is good if you have tuned the engine because you can have it kick in right where the powerband starts to edge off.

3. If you had a B16A and ZC both making the same power I would probably say ZC car would win because its a lighter engine and the car doesn't need VTEC to make that power.

4. HANDS DOWN there are more parts made for the B16A then any other Import engine ever made. The ZC parts market is scarce.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

1) Not really, but having more conservative cams is a good thing.

2) On a stock engine, no. The VTEC crossover is already optimized for the stock specs.

3) That situation is unreasonable. That would involve an incredible amount of work to bring the two engines to be exactly the same... and then the ZC would probably win by about 1/4" because of the slight weight advantage. In real life, a B16A would be faster mod-for-mod.

4) you can find "hella" more mods for the B-series.

EDIT: dammit, 4GH beat me to it.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Lets break it down nice and simple...

ZC is for people who want a faster engine but don't plan on any extensive mods other than maybe Turbo.

B16A is for people who want an engine they can build up a lot and have a lot of power.

Me personally my 130hp is good enough. I drive it around, its quick, it gets good mileage, its fine. Maybe a turbo some day but I have no plans for that anytime soon.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:56 PM
WhiteRice

There are plenty of ZC mods out there, you just have to find them. You have to look a tad deeper, but they are there. I hate the excuse that there aren't any mods for the ZC. Granted, there are probably MORE for the b16....but there are still a ton of stuff for the ZC.

BUT...if you are looking to go N/A, Don't go w/the ZC. You'll spend a boat load and see little results. The ZC is definitely factory built to handle boost better.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:17 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't believe you asked if VTEC was bad......:doh:......but b16 has way more mods and more options (n/a,turbo,SC)
Old 07-03-2003, 09:19 PM
onelowhatch

ok but what if i cant afford the B16A1 and i dont want the ZC what engine do u request???? where i dont have to freaking spend money on engine mounts
Old 07-03-2003, 09:27 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d16z6 :dunno:not great but cheap and easy to find......it would be a lil more power but not much.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:49 PM
onelowhatch

but u cant find that many mods for the d16z6 can u???? cause im trying to get 200whp N/A but that wont happen without NOS so later i will get some, but i need sumthing with like 150whp in my little hatch so i can bust some ass on the streets, and i need some money left over for some suspension shit and maybe some other goodies