Notices

does a body kit help?

Old 07-01-2003, 06:25 PM
static

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a body kit help?

will a body kit hurt or help the performance of a 91 crx hf. Here is the body kit i want.

http://www.extremedimensions.com/shopexd.asp?id=1725
Old 07-01-2003, 06:35 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Don't do it. I speak from experience.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:42 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Waste of money. What possible performance could it add? I think ones like Mugen are windtunnel tested and thats why they cost $1000+ for a kit. Most other body kits will slow your car down since it adds more drag and then the kids in the back of the station wagon will point and laugh at your pos.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:52 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
Most other body kits will slow your car down since it adds more drag and then the kids in the back of the station wagon will point and laugh at your pos.
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!:lmfao:
Old 07-01-2003, 07:39 PM
static

Waste of money. What possible performance could it add? I think ones like Mugen are windtunnel tested and thats why they cost $1000+ for a kit. Most other body kits will slow your car down since it adds more drag and then the kids in the back of the station wagon will point and laugh at your pos.
So are you saying that a mugen body kit will help or hurt your performance? Also, if bodykits hurt your performance will it be a dramatic change
Old 07-01-2003, 07:44 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

A REAL Mugen kit. Not that Mugen flaired BS that Extreme Dimensions sells. Don't waste your money on a kit. I got sponsored for my kit and I almost wish I would never had done it. My only happiness for it is that my car is in the Aerogear ads in Sport Compact Car and on their webside in the CRX section. I would have rather just done the SiR front end and been done with it.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:27 PM
static

But is gettin a body kit a dramatic negative change in performance
Old 07-02-2003, 12:18 AM
AwwsChwA

What exactly do you expect when you say "dramatic"? Think of it this way. If Honda had thought that a cheesy skirt kit would improve performance of the vehicle, don't you think that they would have put it on the car to begin with?

There is absolutely no gain to be had from any body kit you can get except for two that I can think of: the true Mugen kit like someone else has already stated, and a racing air damn and dissipater that would be used strictly for racing.

Keep in mind I'm talking out-of-the-box kits. I'm sure you could have one custom made if you really wanted, but I kinda doubt that you have the means or knowledge to build a body kit that, when tested in a wind tunnel, will improve aerodynamics and vehicle stability at varying speeds.

What I'm saying is, from a true engineering stand point, there is no reason to put a body kit on your car. You will not see any performance gain, and you will in fact increase the aerodynamic drag on your car, which will cost you gas mileage and high-speed acceleration. In extreme cases, a poorly designed body kit can even cause the vehicle to become unstable at high speeds because it causes excessive lift/drag, or significantly alters air flow that was designed into the vehicle to maintain stability.

Just stick with your OEM body panels, and if you really insist on getting a body kit, find yourself a JDM front end.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:43 AM
static

What exactly do you expect when you say "dramatic"? Think of it this way. If Honda had thought that a cheesy skirt kit would improve performance of the vehicle, don't you think that they would have put it on the car to begin with?
I know that it doesnt help the performance of the car. That is why lin my second reply i asked if a body kit hurts the cars performance dramatically. I like looks and speed and if a body kit doesnt hurt the cars performance dramatically then I'm probably going to get one. So soes it HURT the cars performance enough to make it dramatically slower?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:14 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it wont make it dramatically slower.

some things to keep in mind:

they break, bend and crack easily.

they are bumpers are prolly taller than the stock ones, so you are more likely to scrape the ground if you lower your car

good kits are expensive, and cheap kits are..... well.... cheaph:

the cost isn't just the cost of the kit. it is also the cost of shipping the kit, paint [or paint and labor if its painted professionally], all materials and tools needed to mound the kit, etc, etc

it will be played out in a year or two, because other people will have the body kit

you will attract attention from the police. if you and a red corvette were speeding right next to eachother, you would prolly be the one that gets pulled over.

the money could be better spent elsewhere

but thats just my opinion