Notices

WEIRD idle-CHECK engine HELP!

Old 06-27-2003, 02:47 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEIRD idle-CHECK engine HELP!

ok my rex is acting weird. my friend put a 90 sI motor in my 88 Hf and it idles funny. when i start it it will idle right above 1000, and will continue to do so for maybe 5 minutes. then, as ti warms up it will usually drop to about 100 when im in neutral. when i stop at lights n stuff it barely stays alive, and if its hot outside will almost always die on me. and then sometimes it will idle at 1000 too but mostly right at about 100. im thinkin maybe the o2 sensor, because i checked the ecu and it just blinked once, but my friend said if nothing is wrong it will always blink once. or maybe the eacv, but i dont know how to take it off n clean it, or even WHERE IT IS! SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!
Old 06-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

FYI:

Code 1 (one short blink): Oxygen Sensor "A" (Primary)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

Code 10 (one long blink): IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor
Old 06-27-2003, 07:43 PM
matt j
midwest corn killer

the ecu wont always blink once, the only time it should blink is when you have a code, check your ecu and go by what kai said and get back to us
Old 06-27-2003, 07:47 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Actually it is probably your EACV (Electronic Air Control Valve) its on the back of the intake manifold and it keeps your idle at a steady level of 800, so if its not at that I say it is probably your EACV.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I'm wondering what it's really idling at. It's not possible for a piston engine our size to idle at 100RPM, it will stall out and die before it turns that slow. Even a rotary can barely do that.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:14 PM
menappi

oh extra hot days...it will idle at about 1100 for maybe 6 seconds, then fall to right above 0, the battery light will usually flicker on and off as well as the oil light, and id say about 70% of the time it will die. if it doesnt die, it will juss sit above 0, BARELY idling. Also when i gas it sometimes, i heard a popping noise, and, lets say when im driving in 4th, and i let off the gas, i heard popping noises coming from my exaust. any info.
oh the ECU code was one SHORT blink. So what should i do?
Old 07-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Have you tried a new ECU? Maybe yours is baked. The popping sounds like you are running rich, do you smell gas in the exhaust?

(*disclaimer* I do NOT endorse actual exhaust sniffing as it may KILL you if you sit there long enough )
Old 07-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Caster Troy SI
bye ashley, hello leah

my crx is popping when i'm in gear and let off the gas and my rpms are at around 3 to 4 grand, and yes i smell gas in my exhaust. cough cough. also not much, but when i get on the gas black smoke comes out of the exhaust. well... i guess a bunch cuz the entire back of my car has like soot on it, and i wash it ever 3 days and it gets covered in soot in that amount of time. how can i learn why it's running rich?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:53 AM
menappi

yea mine does the exact same thing! it pops when i let off the gas and this smell fills my inside, like fuel or oil or someting. how can i fix it if its funning rich. and the idle is still funny, with a check engine light coming on. it only dies tho on hot hott days. any help!