Notices

Use of moster tachs?

Old 06-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of moster tachs?

I was looking at the tach of the '87 tonight and I just realized that it maxes out a 8k RPM (stock redline of 6.5k RPM) and since the B16A redlines at around 8.2k, I have a serious problem. The only options I have is to try to find a JDM ZC cluster, which is crazy rare and would still redline way to early, or install an aftermarket tach.

In short, how many of you seriously use one of those monster tachs? I always thought they were gaudy and "ricey," but now it's starting to look like I will actually need one
Old 06-24-2003, 11:20 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Default Re: Use of moster tachs?

Originally posted by Kai
it's starting to look like I will actually need one
right there is when it becomes non-rice. it's not rice unless it's obviously useless. would you call an f1 racecar w/a spoiler rice? i wouldn't.

i would call an aluminum adjustable 3 level wing on a stock 89 accord rice though.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:59 AM
crxb16er

yah with the new engine going in im starting to seriously think about a gauge pod cluster for the drivers side, ive had alot of problems with a/f ratio, oil pressure issues, and water temp going out of control with the n20 so im thinking of getting those gauges installed when i put in the new engine.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:04 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Do you really need to know when you're AT redline?

I know a guy with an '85 CRX Si with a B16 w/CTR cams, stock tach. It's really not a big deal, by the time you hit VTEC and the needle is racing toward the end of the tach range, you should be shifting and grabbing the next gear.

If it were me, I'd probably just get an adjustible shiftlight and set it up for whatever RPM I wanted past what is readable on the tach.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:11 AM
crxb16er

yah thats what i have, an autolight adjustable shift light with pills to adjust the turn on point, i rarely look at my tach unless there is something wrong with the engine, and im trying to diagnose something, when ur driving ur mostly listenning to the engine and itll tell u when its time to shift, and with a b16 once ur at 6.5 rpms ud better already have ur hand on the shifter cuz those last rpms REALLY fly by quickly, u'll love it.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:29 AM
AwwsChwA

another simple argument is this:

you said yourself that your CRX tach goes up to 8k RPM, and then the needle pegs. Right? Well...if the B-shitsteen redlines at 8,200K, just rev it to 8k, watch your stock tach, and shift at 8K. That 200 RPM isn't going to make a damn bit of difference, and your engine will be happier by not blasting it all the way to its limit every time you shift. Make sense?

In my opinion, there is absolutely NO REASON to use a humongus tach. I think they look stupid, especially in a street Honda. There's just no need, all they say is that you're begging for attention and that you think your car is a full-blown drag beast, which, in 99.999999 percent of all cases, it isn't. Just stick with your stock tach.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:34 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yep, you dont really need it. My friend's supra :drool: has a bigger turbo and upgraded head/valvetrain and he bought my monstertach because his redline is higher now. the thing is that he says he never looks at the tach when he's driving or racing, so he says it just takes up space. he also says that he feels like a ricer . but imo, its not ricey if its funtional
Old 06-25-2003, 11:40 AM
jung4g
Asianalize your car

The 5" tach was great, until it was stolen. Of course I have a Std. and thus no tach at all. I bought the 8 thousand RPM tach anyway, I'm planning on going B16, but the 10 and 12k tachs are overkill. Most the time you'll be using so little of the tach, it seems worthless. I've also seen people use a big tach on the dash, and then putting different gauges where the stock tach was.

You can also get a 3" or so tach that isn't so obvious, if that's a concern. The shift lights are great though... I used mine all the time. When I was on a 1600 mile road trip, I used it to mark the RPM of my top speed (for legal reasons) -- around 75 mph, so the light came on if I drifted over that... it was awesome, since I don't have cruise, this made the trip way easier since I didn't have to watch the speedo all the time. (4 tickets and counting makes you watch)

Remember, that money could be used for the rest of the gauges and other goodies, I'd stick with the stock one...

Jung
Old 06-25-2003, 11:47 AM
crxb16er

Originally posted by jung4g
The 5" tach was great, until it was stolen. Of course I have a Std. and thus no tach at all. I bought the 8 thousand RPM tach anyway, I'm planning on going B16, but the 10 and 12k tachs are overkill. Most the time you'll be using so little of the tach, it seems worthless. I've also seen people use a big tach on the dash, and then putting different gauges where the stock tach was.

You can also get a 3" or so tach that isn't so obvious, if that's a concern. The shift lights are great though... I used mine all the time. When I was on a 1600 mile road trip, I used it to mark the RPM of my top speed (for legal reasons) -- around 75 mph, so the light came on if I drifted over that... it was awesome, since I don't have cruise, this made the trip way easier since I didn't have to watch the speedo all the time. (4 tickets and counting makes you watch)

Remember, that money could be used for the rest of the gauges and other goodies, I'd stick with the stock one...

Jung
i hear u on "accidentally" not watching ur speed on the free way, 4 tickets for me also, and a driving on suspended license a few years ago. NOT good at all.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I don't know about you guys, but I usually watch my tach when I'm driving around for fun (which I do a LOT). It would just make me nervous to have an engine that revs higher then my tach does. The shift light is not a bad idea, however. Maybe I could just figure out a way to mount an aftermarket tach INTO my cluster, that would be good.