Notices

im doing some research

Old 07-06-2002, 06:02 AM
HappySnatch
OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default im doing some research

well since im selling my car, i've gotta get a new one sooner or later. I've read just about every thread on this forum regarding a crx. Any other crx websites/forums that i can visit? The lightweight of this car looks makes it very alluring
Old 07-06-2002, 08:47 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you live in College Park, sometime you should come up to the Honda meets around Baltimore. At least after you get your CRX.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:14 AM
HappySnatch
OG

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
Hey you live in College Park, sometime you should come up to the Honda meets around Baltimore. At least after you get your CRX.
sure thing
Old 07-07-2002, 03:15 PM
HappySnatch
OG

to the top
Old 07-07-2002, 04:10 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i'm in herdon, va not too far from you md guys...make it a little closer (maybe in dc somewhere) good equidistant place and i'll be there
Old 07-07-2002, 11:25 PM
ronaldmcdonald

I'm actually in a very similar position, except that I just bought my '89 CRX Si very recently. You probably already know this, but IMO another good site would be www.crxsi.com , or clubsi.com . I'm sure there are probably other sites out there, but that's all I know in terms of sites related to the CRX.

I've tried to do my research as well. I was deciding between the early Corolla GT-S (cheaper, light, RWD, but probab not as much potential for power, and not the best aftermarket that I'm aware of), the VW Mk1 Gti (also very cheap, light, and tons of potentail for power with 1.8t swap, but could get extremely expensive and unreliable to maintain), or the early eagle talon turbo-awd (potential for power, could be great track car, nice design, but also expensive, and I'm skepticle of mitsu's reliability, especially w/ the turbos)

In the end, I thik the CRX is the best choice. It's cheap, light, generally reliable, the aftermakerket is good, engine swaps arn't too difficult, and I like the way it looks. If plan to do swaps, I'd advise looking for a HF model. It's the lightest, and should theoretically be the cheapest of all CRX's. I kinda regret getting an Si though. The thing weighs around 2,170 lbs, according to edmunds.com , and I'm not sure how much I can take off w/out spending loads of money (i.e. a $1,000 lightweight plexiglass conversion, or a CF hood).

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 07-08-2002, 04:49 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

the hf has the most potential b/c of its light weight...but its harder than an si to do swaps b/c you have to change out the front knuckles to a crx si or dx in order to fit the larger d and b series axles

a dx is even harder b/c it has dpfi...an si can be very quick and the 88 si was the lightest...though not as light as the 88 hf

http://resource.crx.org has tons of info on crx...including proper weights
Old 07-08-2002, 01:57 PM
HappySnatch
OG

Originally posted by ronaldmcdonald
I'm actually in a very similar position, except that I just bought my '89 CRX Si very recently. You probably already know this, but IMO another good site would be www.crxsi.com , or clubsi.com . I'm sure there are probably other sites out there, but that's all I know in terms of sites related to the CRX.

I've tried to do my research as well. I was deciding between the early Corolla GT-S (cheaper, light, RWD, but probab not as much potential for power, and not the best aftermarket that I'm aware of), the VW Mk1 Gti (also very cheap, light, and tons of potentail for power with 1.8t swap, but could get extremely expensive and unreliable to maintain), or the early eagle talon turbo-awd (potential for power, could be great track car, nice design, but also expensive, and I'm skepticle of mitsu's reliability, especially w/ the turbos)

In the end, I thik the CRX is the best choice. It's cheap, light, generally reliable, the aftermakerket is good, engine swaps arn't too difficult, and I like the way it looks. If plan to do swaps, I'd advise looking for a HF model. It's the lightest, and should theoretically be the cheapest of all CRX's. I kinda regret getting an Si though. The thing weighs around 2,170 lbs, according to edmunds.com , and I'm not sure how much I can take off w/out spending loads of money (i.e. a $1,000 lightweight plexiglass conversion, or a CF hood).

Hope this helps, good luck!
damn, you're just like me...i was thinking of getting a 1g dsm as well...also the 85-87 GTS. Are you happy with your purchase?
Old 07-09-2002, 05:14 PM
ronaldmcdonald

JAJE- Thanks for recommending me to the other site! It's strange how the site doesn't list the spec info on the '89 CRX Si models. They just have '88,'90, and '91 iirc. Is it fair to assume that the '89 models are more similar to the '88's instead of the '90-'91's? I really hope this is the case, as the '89's are a suprising 100 lbs lighter! That's quite a notable difference there imo, and it's definetly good news for me!

Old 07-09-2002, 05:33 PM
ronaldmcdonald

HAPPYSNATCH-

Yeah, I guess the above mentioned cars are probably the best for a budget project car! I am pleased with the CRX. It's a lot of fun to drive even with the Si motor as is. I don't think I got a very good deal though. I paid $2,ooo for a '89 Si. Although the motor runs good, it has 200k miles on it, and there's paint chips everywhere. I guess I could have looked around more, but I got lazy.

For the time bieng, I just want a car that's relatively fun, reliable, and cheap. My VW Passat is somewhat modified, and often raced. The thing is always in the shop most of the year, mostly for repairs, and sometimes for parts installation. I just need something to take over the VW for the time bieng as a commuter, although the CRX will definetly be modded for racing later on. It should be a much more competitive than my VW.

Quick Reply: im doing some research