Notices

Soon my 87 Si will be all brand new..

Old 06-10-2003, 08:44 AM
klowndwarf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon my 87 Si will be all brand new..

After purchasing my 87 Si rex (for $600), so far I've spent upwards of 1300 dollars restoring this beast. Just two days ago I finally got her running as good as it has been so far. need a new throttle body and TPS but thats in the mail. I made it to the driveway at work today and clank..put...put...stall. I knew something good went cause of the metal clank that came from under the hood. Take my valve cover off because my timing belt is as far inside the cam gear as it goes and it wiggles a little bit. You may know by now, if so good job, but my camshaft went to shit and snapped almost in the middle. This is just me venting by the way cause things just keep braking one after the other. One good thing: Nothing new has broken, only old parts and I believe the cam was the original. Obviously I'm gonna replace it with a brand new one for about 150bucks. no biggy. Now that I finally felt how this punny d15a3 runs I wanna keep it alive. Man does it pull hard. Its about 4 times faster then when I bought it now so I'll get that cam and enjoy my ride once again. fyi the mileage is about 187k miles I don't know if this is normal or not. the only cause I can figure is natural wear because all the bolts and whatnot are on spec (double checked). anyway, just had to vent cause now I can't drive it for another 2 weeks. have fun.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:54 AM
crxb16er

humm never heard of a camshaft breaking? but at least once u get it fixed u wont ever have to worry about it again.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:34 AM
klowndwarf

hopefully....
Old 06-10-2003, 11:37 AM
klowndwarf

Maybe when I take it out I should get a pic since its such a rarity.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:02 PM
crxb16er

the only thing i can think of is the camshaft seal was so busted up that when the timing belt pulled it around it put too much pressure on it and it finally snapped under the uneven turning???
Old 06-10-2003, 05:25 PM
bigdawg

cams in 4 cylinders usually dont snap. are you sure you didnt bend some valves and put it in a bind? well, if it makes you feel a little better, harley davidson's snap cams all the time. but thats cause they are a shitty design.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:35 PM
klowndwarf

i had no time to take the head apart tonight to inspect it b/c it was my g/f's graduation so when I do, if there are any bent valves or anything I'll let you know. from what i can see, it actually snapped at the first post (from the right). I heard only one clank before the engine died so i dunno what happened. i think its gonna be sold if theres anything else wrong except the cam because i need a running car ASAP so i can get to work and college and I can't keep dealing with this car. it needs to go at least 55 miles a day minimum if I only go there and to work. then again I'd only have classes three times a week but classes start the 18th of june. thats how ASAP I need a ride. theres a guy in there though looking for possible car pool ppl but that won't last. its just such a long list of things i've replaced I'm ready to junk this one just like the tempo i had. though the tempo never got me anywhere, literally. this car was real fast and powerfull the last couple days and i like that. we'll see. its too early to worry bout it now I'll find out possibly tommaro I don't think anythings planned..have fun.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 AM
crxb16er

if ur lucky u can find a crx in a junkyard and just replace ur entire head, shouldnt be that expensive, but good luck finding one
Old 06-11-2003, 10:30 AM
klowndwarf

because i need a running reliable ride very very soon i'm exploring other options like purchasing another rex already fixed up. problem is finding someone that will take payments. if you know anyone i can pay upto almost $400 a month. then i will take my Si off the rode, fix it, then maybe sell it. we'll see i'm still waiting to hear back from some people about their vehicles.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:09 PM
87crxSI

If your camshaft broke you definately bent at least one valve check for loosness on the exhaust valve all the way on the passanger side. My timing belt just broke because a spacer fell into the timing cover from my valve train, and i bent 3 valves. I will be replacing them her in the next day or 2, if you cant find any parts let me know, i have alot of spares for that engine.
Jayson