Notices

88or 89 crx engine problem

Old 06-01-2003, 05:58 AM
96extec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88or 89 crx engine problem

my friend swaped his engine in his crx with the same engine that came with it(his other engine was blown) the swap went great, but the car wont run. everything is hooked up the rite way, all the sensors work,fireing order is the rite way batery is good?
some days you can go out to the car and turn the key and it will start, other days you could go and nothing would happen? when it wont start if you put gas in the intake and crank it over it will start and run till gas is gone. so i tested the fuel pump the way honda says to, the pump is good, i dont know how to test the ecu, i am thinking it could be the ecu or the igntion. any help would be great, the engine is a 1500 or 1.5 i think thanks
josh...
Old 06-01-2003, 09:08 AM
crxb16er

and when u put gas in the intake it starts every time without problems? id say check ur fuel filter, pressure regulator, fuel lines, while ur at it remove ur fuel rail pull the injectors clean them all off, umm....(scratches head) if u can find out what kind of engine he had b4 and when he swapped out his car did he swap in a new ecu with it, the only other thing i can think of is he's running an ecu programmed for dpfi with a mpfi hf fuel rail? or some unique problem like that, id say figure out the type of ecu and the engine model and post it on here so we can make sure its compatable, then again it can be a completely different problem that is being overlooked, oh and btw ur intake manifold is definitely not built for fuel so i wouldnt do that very often
Old 06-01-2003, 11:10 AM
awhell

My problem is that after running the engine (driving ofcourse) I can't start it up sometimes. I'll have full power, lights, radio, etc. but the engine won't turn over. I don't even get a clicking sound that would signal it was the starter. At the same time my idle drops and jumps irradically and it sometimes gets so bad that it'll turn off when parked or in drive. Fuel injectors maybe? well hope you guys can help, btw I have an 88 crx with a stock engine(I hope!!!).
Old 06-01-2003, 11:17 AM
excitid

Have you replaced the main relay located under the left side of the dash near the hood release. It could be your problem.Heres how to fix it
Old 06-01-2003, 12:45 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Yup sounds like main relay...

http://www.fourthgenhatch.com/mainrelay.html
Old 06-01-2003, 01:13 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by awhell
My problem is that after running the engine (driving ofcourse) I can't start it up sometimes. I'll have full power, lights, radio, etc. but the engine won't turn over. I don't even get a clicking sound that would signal it was the starter. At the same time my idle drops and jumps irradically and it sometimes gets so bad that it'll turn off when parked or in drive. Fuel injectors maybe? well hope you guys can help, btw I have an 88 crx with a stock engine(I hope!!!).
your problems are easier to diagnose, first of all if ur starter isnt clicking or actuating by pushing out the pinion gear than the sylenoid is more than likely toast, if not than ur battery isnt fully charged, ur connection isnt tight enough to get enough cca's to the starter, or its a wiring issue, next time it does this take a hammer and bang on the starter and see if it comes back to life, and with a bouncing needle for ur idle id say check for vacume leaks on ur intake manifold, probably a blown off vacume hose, or possibly one is cracked broken or loose, if not than check ur intake manifold to block gasket and make sure ur intake manifold doesnt have cracks. those are the most likely issues for ur situation
Old 06-01-2003, 08:29 PM
awhell

Man you guys are the sh!t i'm gonna try all these things guys and I'm pretty sure you'll all be right ! but on that note i also must mention that it vibrates when in gear and this is all the time(except when accelerating cuz then you can't feel it too much !!!)
Old 06-02-2003, 06:46 AM
crxb16er

Originally posted by awhell
Man you guys are the sh!t i'm gonna try all these things guys and I'm pretty sure you'll all be right ! but on that note i also must mention that it vibrates when in gear and this is all the time(except when accelerating cuz then you can't feel it too much !!!)
humm... now this could be many things but ill give u a line up to start checking, start with the most obvious and work ur way to the more difficult, oh and this is assuming uve got a manual transaxle btw, could be one of these or a combination of stuff.

Only when in gear:
tires out of balance, or not properly inflated
worn cv joints (see if they click when u turn ur wheel all the way to one side while driving slowly in circles, if so they need replaced)
rough wheel bearings, damaged drive axles

if it vibrates out of gear,or with clutch depressed:
idle turned too low
exessive toe in,
incorrect spring heights with out a camber kit fixing ur camber,
broken motor mount,

more extreme:
motor mount broken,
cylinder compression off due to a blown gasket,
dead cylinder,
cap and rotor worn incorrect or not firing cylinder,
damaged or malfunctioning spark plug or plug wire,
clogged fuel injector.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:47 AM
crxb16er

i feel like a walking crx car manual
Old 06-02-2003, 12:59 PM
awhell

sorry should have mentioned it's an automatic !