Notices

ZC Vtec

Old 06-02-2003, 03:53 PM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually i retract my previous statement that i didnt want to argue, any time u want to start up a conversation about thermodynamics and engine consumption, we can go at it. I'll be more than happy to fully explain the need for variable valve lift and valve lift duration if someone wants a good explanation for the advantages of controlling fuel consumption in different situations of an internal combusion engine during operation. even better we can get into experimental technology of using microprocessors to accuate valves with variable lift, and duration, in some of hondas experimental engines and why this may yet be the most efficient means of combustion today, or even how you can remove your conventional valve timing gear all together (timing belt, camshaft, etc) and replace them with small pnuematic actuators and how this will become the newest way of controlling exhaust gases without the need for an egr system all together.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:59 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by Bakeoff
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was pointing the finger more at schwanginpt than anything. Read his replies, and then mine. Might make a bit more sense. I understand, and understand that you know how vtec works. That's not the issue. But anyone saying that it's an invalid invention is very narrow minded.
i understand your point bakeoff
yes it is a great concept but it is primarily to decrease emissions as they become more and more strict, not necessarily to create great power gains, honda just normally makes great engines, vtec just saves u gas when u dont need that high top end power, and that is what most people do not understand, and i was trying to make a point of.

think of it like a supercharger, ur putting in more power all the time, u cant turn it off when u want to exactly, so you are pushing more air and fuel into the engine than may be required, just like a crankshaft with bigger lobes, this is why a turbo is a more preferred application with the same concepts of variable valve timing, gives u the power when u want it without wasting power when ur car is idling. crude example but easy to explain.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:00 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by crxb16er
actually i retract my previous statement that i didnt want to argue, any time u want to start up a conversation about thermodynamics and engine consumption, we can go at it. I'll be more than happy to fully explain the need for variable valve lift and valve lift duration if someone wants a good explanation for the advantages of controlling fuel consumption in different situations of an internal combusion engine during operation. even better we can get into experimental technology of using microprocessors to accuate valves with variable lift, and duration, in some of hondas experimental engines and why this may yet be the most efficient means of combustion today, or even how you can remove your conventional valve timing gear all together (timing belt, camshaft, etc) and replace them with small pnuematic actuators and how this will become the newest way of controlling exhaust gases without the need for an egr system all together.
umm yah btw this post was b4 i saw ur latest post, i felt like picking a fight im cooled down now:thumbup:
Old 06-02-2003, 04:03 PM
crxb16er

thinking about it more this is just like the carb vs fi issues, one is not necessarily better than the other, just means of efficiency, to meet more demanding emissions laws
Old 06-02-2003, 07:41 PM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

dude.. bakeoff... im sorry man.. i wasn't trying to give it a bad name, i was trying to make sure i wasnt missing something with not having VTEC. i understand how the whole concept works, and i get it, and i believe i did say that i think its a great engineering feature for engines.

i was just trying to discuss my whole thought/opinion behind vtec. if i offended you or thought that i was dissing it in anyway, im sorry for that. it's like you said, people hype the name up, and i wanted to make sure that i wasn't missing anything in all the hype.

crxb16er did a great job chatting with me about it and i thank him for that, and i thank you for backing him up and saying its talked about alot with people who dont know what theyre talking about.

So i'm sorry if i got you upset bakeoff, i had no intensions of dissing VTEC, if i was, i might has well said i hate HONDA.. and i cant do that, they made the CRX! :chuckles: :fawk: hope all is forgiven, and you accept my apologies to you
Old 06-02-2003, 09:11 PM
sspire

or you could just buy the toda v-tec killer cams that give you nice power all the way through :thumbup: :fawk: (a little late... but better than never) www.todaracing.com
Old 06-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I didn't want to get a HEATED debate going. I just wanted to point out that vtec IS a way to get more power (and still stay efficient and smog friendly), otherwise why would they have it, it's proven, and other companies wouldn't have jumped on the bandwagon as heavily as honda has. Hell, we all know it's been around (with honda) as far back as the 2nd gen crx ( may not be aware of any that predate the CRX SiR).

I agree that it's NOT the only way to go. Hell, I'm working on a project using a d16z6 block, a d15b7 head and a t3 turbo. I know vtec is not always the solution, nor should it be the only alley anyone looks down. Just don't want to see it slandered like I have so many times. It's good stuff!
Old 06-03-2003, 05:12 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

Originally posted by Bakeoff
I Just don't want to see it slandered like I have so many times. It's good stuff!

of course man, i hear ya. i was trying to be calm in my reply. thats the funny thing with posting, you can type something and people can think youre upset, when you're really not. I was trying to get heated either, and just wanted to make sure that you understood, that i wasnt bashing VTEC. and like i said, i am sorry if i got you heated about the topic.

so for everyone else out there, that might think i was bashing VTEC, i want to say, im sorry and that was not the case.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by schwanginpt
of course man, i hear ya. i was trying to be calm in my reply. thats the funny thing with posting, you can type something and people can think youre upset, when you're really not. I was trying to get heated either, and just wanted to make sure that you understood, that i wasnt bashing VTEC. and like i said, i am sorry if i got you heated about the topic.

so for everyone else out there, that might think i was bashing VTEC, i want to say, im sorry and that was not the case.
All is well. I'd say "group hug" but you might thing I'm saying it with a lisp.... Not that there's anything wrong with that....
Old 06-04-2003, 05:07 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

cool, thanks man.

and I'm ok with a "group hug" just as long as you don't grab my ass!! :chuckles: