Notices

ZC Vtec

Old 05-30-2003, 10:22 AM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by schwanginpt

that was pretty good. i still dont completley get VTEC.
all vtec is really is a smart head valve train set up, variable valve timing, when u get to certain rpms or ur ecu recognizes the conditions where you would want more power the camshaft slides over slightly and rolls over to larger lobes on ur camshaft cranking more air and gas into the engine, while maintaining good gas mileage at lower speeds. with a zc you can simply upgrade ur camshaft to one with more agressive lobes on the camshaft and you can push the extra hp out of the engine, but not without a loss of fuel economy, you'll just be pushing more air and fuel all the time, so you may have more engine wear... but... thats the situation, honda has great engineers that are able to crank out both high power when the situation presents itself while maintaining a great economy car, cuz im sorry go say guys our honda's are ECONOMY cars.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:14 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

thanks crxb16er, i knew how it worked. i just never thought about it really for the fuel economy really. whenever i hear someone talk about VTEC its always about the power. So to me and the race guys out there.. i still dont get VTEC. for the people who wanna pass someone on the highway, i get it, but not for the guys going onto the track or wanting power all the time

If you want to go fast all the time.. you should just do like you said with a ZC and change cams. i dont understand its facination with the import world, like your not cool if you dont have VTEC (not saying you are doing that or anything)..

but i agree with you about the honda engineers doing a great job on an economy car engine. i just still dont see thing big deal with VTEC, does that make sense?
Old 05-30-2003, 02:39 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by schwanginpt
but i agree with you about the honda engineers doing a great job on an economy car engine. i just still dont see thing big deal with VTEC, does that make sense?

i see ur point completely but u've got to remember alot of people do not understand exactly how their cars work they just see names, terms thrown around, want to spend their money on things that other people have, most people do not know that almost all aftermarket headers will lose hp on a n/a honda, hondas engineers make the cars the way they are supposed to be given they stay that way. i dont know everything about cars and i doubt i ever will but i at least try to read and understand what all is happening and what u have to do to make the car you want. i always go to this forum and engine tech just to keep myself in the know.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:52 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

Originally posted by crxb16er
i see ur point completely but u've got to remember alot of people do not understand exactly how their cars work they just see names, terms thrown around, want to spend their money on things that other people have, most people do not know that almost all aftermarket headers will lose hp on a n/a honda, hondas engineers make the cars the way they are supposed to be given they stay that way. i dont know everything about cars and i doubt i ever will but i at least try to read and understand what all is happening and what u have to do to make the car you want. i always go to this forum and engine tech just to keep myself in the know.
:werd:

i hear ya man. and i agree. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something wonderful with not having VTEC in my car, and im not really. so thanks for the discussion, you've helped me realize that what i thought is correct about VTEC and that my opinion is cool. it is a wonderful engineering help for people to drive more fuel efficient while still maintaining power. i thank you for your discussion crxb16er :thumbup:
Old 06-02-2003, 06:21 AM
crxb16er

any time buddy, my girlfriend hates it when i talk about cars all day, especially when i talk about the advantages and disadvantages of nitrous setups and turbo pressures, and about decreasing ambient air temperature. compression ratings and ignition timing, she doesnt hear a word i say, and im glad to know that someone actually pays attention. now if i could only find more beer buddies....
Old 06-02-2003, 07:27 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

:cheers:.. if i was closer i would hang out with you.

yea.. im not that far in my turbo, air temp conversations.. im still worried about getting my car done. but believe me, i understand what you're saying. I talk all the time about my mods and why im getting what i want, and pros and cons to all of it, and my girlfriend, tries as hard as she can to try and stay interested, but she gets fed up too :chuckles:
Old 06-02-2003, 07:47 AM
crxb16er

lol my girlfriend doesnt even try to understand she just says umm im trying to watch tv cant u go online and talk to ur car buddies on the computer, so hey i end up posting alot on here.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

wow, you guys are pretty naive about how engines work. Vtec, or any other engine manufacturer's version of variable valve timing, is meant for more power on the upper end. So, saying that vtec is a waste is like saying that cold air intakes are a waste. Why put it on if you're only going to have more power on the top end? Well, Honda gave the engines a little more top end from the factory. Yes, people make a big deal out of the name. Yes, it's a big misconception that it creates HUGE power gains. But don't go giving it a bad name because you don't understand it, when in reality it's somthing that's advantageous. Shit, if you do that, maybe you should convince all auto makers to start making their exhaust manifold smaller, go with a smaller bore, or lower compression. Maybe we should all go back to carbs...
Old 06-02-2003, 03:18 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by Bakeoff
wow, you guys are pretty naive about how engines work. Vtec, or any other engine manufacturer's version of variable valve timing, is meant for more power on the upper end. So, saying that vtec is a waste is like saying that cold air intakes are a waste. Why put it on if you're only going to have more power on the top end? Well, Honda gave the engines a little more top end from the factory. Yes, people make a big deal out of the name. Yes, it's a big misconception that it creates HUGE power gains. But don't go giving it a bad name because you don't understand it, when in reality it's somthing that's advantageous. Shit, if you do that, maybe you should convince all auto makers to start making their exhaust manifold smaller, go with a smaller bore, or lower compression. Maybe we should all go back to carbs...
actually bakeoff i have a vtec engine i understand the principles of how it works, and i understand exactly why its a great concept, it is to create top end power by engaging vtec when ur car recognizes the conditions where u want greater power output, and does so accordingly by switching to the higher lobes of the camshaft, while moving to the lower lobes at times where greater fuel economy would be a concern, ie normal driving conditions, what i was explaining to schwanginpt is that you can create a car without vtec that is just as fast by getting a camshaft with greater sized lobes, of course your fuel economy will not be as great, because you dont have the options of switching to the lower camshaft lobes, (well cuz a normal camshaft doesnt have both sets) which is the reason vtec is a good concept, to gain better fuel economy, as for smaller bore that is honda specialty creating great economy small bore engines that produce fantastic hp per liter, and a larger exhaust manifold is not necessarily a good thing, you size ur exhaust manifold to create an ideal situation to both get rid of exhaust gases as well as create ideal backpressure to maintain the vacume on ur engine. i dont see where i ever gave vtec a bad name i believe i just explained the concepts of how it worked without presenting a biased opinion, if u are going to try to make a statement please read my posts more carefully and try again. I've said my point and don't feel like trying to argue, YES VTEC is a great concept that is why honda implemented it on its models, but it is not necessarily for everyone or ideal in all situations.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was pointing the finger more at schwanginpt than anything. Read his replies, and then mine. Might make a bit more sense. I understand, and understand that you know how vtec works. That's not the issue. But anyone saying that it's an invalid invention is very narrow minded.