Notices

Ok, I am new to the Civics so here is a dumb question

Old 05-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Dead_Poet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by crxb16er
carbs are a lost art to me, left for those old timers and those 21 year olds with a concept of how they work, fuel injection is my preferred application but thats only cuz that is what i understand.
:werd: Thats my point exactly.

I am starting college Minday for Automotive Tech and I think its kinda ironic to see some of the old school guys in there having to learn abou tthe new computers and stuff.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:13 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

You guys aren't really listening to what I'm saying.

The difference between fuel injection and carburetion is in components. The only reason those "old school guys" would need to learn about the new computers and such is to learn what sensors have what effects on engine tuning, just like you would have to learn what parts inside a carburetor have what effects on your powerband. It's not a lack of general knowledge, it's a lack comparative vocabulary for those "old school guys".

I know both, so it doesn't make a rat's bit of difference to me. All it sounds like anytime someone tells me "fuel injection is easier" though, is "I don't like to get my hands dirty if I can do it on a digital screen".

All I did was ask if you wanted to forgo all the carburetion options that are out there for the first gen CRX, which you do, so I won't lay them out for you. You don't have to go on and try to act superior to me about making power through electronic means though. I can and do make power in both arenas, it just happens that for what my goals were, carbs were the best option on my Honda.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Well, the advantage of FI is in it's efficiency, that's all. I agree that an average performance carb is no more complex then a performance fuel injection system, the only problem is you can make an FI system pass emissions tests much easier due to it's computer control system (in those that use it, let's not get into mechanical FI). I also agree that carbs work very much like FI, once you learn how they work.

If emissions tests didn't exist, I'd have no problem running a carb on my Civic. It would get that damn CEL to go out once and for allh:

Oh, and turbo cars. No blow-through carbs for me, never, no way, no thanks.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:50 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by Kai
the only problem is you can make an FI system pass emissions tests much easier due to it's computer control system
Every carb has an idle and fuel adjustment built in, you can adjust them however you want, so I don't totally agree with that statement since you have to buy an AFC or something similar to adjust most EFI systems. Again, I'm not advocating either method, but I don't appreciate biased opinions formed solely on a lack of knowledge [not directed at anyone specifically, and certainly not to you Kai].
I also agree that carbs work very much like FI, once you learn how they work.
I believe you mean they're purpose is the same, they operate on similar principles, just in slightly different applications of those principles.
If emissions tests didn't exist, I'd have no problem running a carb on my Civic. It would get that damn CEL to go out once and for allh:
Heh, another reason I think people like EFI systems, they can tell you what's wrong, no need for trouble shooting skills. Also, I live in an area without emissions testing, another reason I like my carbs.
Oh, and turbo cars. No blow-through carbs for me, never, no way, no thanks.
Oh come on... it could be fun What about draw-through instead? No need for an intercooler then, the fuel acts as the cooling agent
Old 06-01-2003, 10:54 AM
crxb16er

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
I don't appreciate biased opinions formed solely on a lack of knowledge [not directed at anyone specifically, and certainly not to you Kai].
yah alot of people like to throw around generalizations and their own personal opinions with their apparent knowledge, of what they feel is best, and the worst part is they take on the my way is better than ur way cuz i know nothing of what ur talking about, and arent willing to find out why you believe differently. but hey the majority of the world is hardheaded and naive. ehh... going off on a tangent.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
Every carb has an idle and fuel adjustment built in, you can adjust them however you want, so I don't totally agree with that statement since you have to buy an AFC or something similar to adjust most EFI systems.
Yes, but I really don't buy into this for a couple reasons. Yes, you can adjust it to pass the tests, however in that condition it will not make a very good driving (performance driving, whichever) car. The air/fuel delivery in a carb (while driving) is based on the position of the throttle plate, while in an FI car it is based on many things, only one of which is the throttle plate. I know for a fact that if I stripped down a stock Nikki (4bbl) carb on an old 85 RX-7 and reworked it to be a nice performance carb (easier said then done), it will fail emissions tests horribly, spouting all sorts of evil hydrocarbons out the backside.

For a '69 Plymouth Roadrunnner, I would never consider anything other then a big Holley carb (or two, or maybe three Rochesters....:naughty: )

For an '87 Civic, I would never consider anything other then FI.

Purely a personnal thing. I do not "hate" on things different then I would do, as Harry already knows I love his car, carbs and all, and have great respect for those who choose to "keep the faith" of "old-school" car modification.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:51 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by Kai
Yes, but I really don't buy into this for a couple reasons. Yes, you can adjust it to pass the tests, however in that condition it will not make a very good driving (performance driving, whichever) car. The air/fuel delivery in a carb (while driving) is based on the position of the throttle plate, while in an FI car it is based on many things, only one of which is the throttle plate.
One of the primary influences on an EFI system is TPS, and most emissions tests aren't done at idle. Remember, in most instances EFI mimics a carburetor's operation
I know for a fact that if I stripped down a stock Nikki (4bbl) carb on an old 85 RX-7 and reworked it to be a nice performance carb (easier said then done), it will fail emissions tests horribly, spouting all sorts of evil hydrocarbons out the backside.
I'm not familiar with that particular carb, so I'll take your word for it.
For a '69 Plymouth Roadrunnner, I would never consider anything other then a big Holley carb (or two, or maybe three Rochesters....:naughty: )
Bah... why stop there when you can go with 4 Weber IDFs
Purely a personnal thing. I do not "hate" on things different then I would do, as Harry already knows I love his car, carbs and all, and have great respect for those who choose to "keep the faith" of "old-school" car modification.
Heh, I didn't know I was keeping any faith. The route I went was just simply the easiest way to make the most power and still be CSP SCCA autocross legal.