Notices

Valve Train Noise

Old 05-07-2003, 04:52 AM
adamdaviddoyle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Train Noise

I'm getting a continuous light tapping noise that sounds like it's coming from my valve train. I opened it up and adjust the valves w/ a feeler gauge (they were all very tight?). When I zipped it back up i still had the noise... but it seemed to be running a little stronger. Is the noise just because of the age (and mileage) of the rocker arms? or is it because i recently switched to a lighter weight oil? (10w30 as opposed to 10w40) should i switch back to the thicker weight oil? Thanks for your time guys.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
AwwsChwA

It could be a fuel injector that's making the noise, or like you said, it could just be the motor starting to show a little age. My CRX Si has its own distinct tappity-tappity sound that comes and goes. I think it's a sticky valve stem, but I can't tell for sure, and I can't afford to pull it apart to find out. So, I just live with it. Car runs and races (autocross) just fine. Just add your sound to the list of Honda noises

Try switching to a heavier oil, see if it goes away. That may help. As far as your valves all being lashed too tight, that's OK as long as it's not closer than spec. What I mean is, if your intake clearance is .007, a snug .007 is ok, but if you can't even get that size in the gap, it's too tight.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:08 PM
adamdaviddoyle
Rookie

That's what i suspected. it still runs strong. i'm just going to switch to the thicker oil and/or just deal w/ it.

Thanks for the response!