Notices

Emissions test failure

Old 04-22-2003, 10:03 AM
nochew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions test failure

alright, my 1991 Civic DX hatchback failed the local emissions test. If there are common and easy parts for me to swap out, I'd love to do the work myself before I hand it over to a mechanic and pay for the work. Problem is, I don't know what would need to be replaced? I was figuing a standard tune up could help as its been a while since I replaced the spark plugs and wires, but is there an O2 sensor I should look for as well?

I can summarize my request to this. I'm looking for a list of things that I can replace in my car with relative ease that could assist in helping me pass the emissions test. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:11 AM
JDMCRXsi

Dizzy cap, rotor button, plugs, wires, O2 sensor, and some auto parts store sale this stuff that you can add to your fuel that guarenties you will pass. dont know if it works or not.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:59 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Put in the highest Octane you can because that makes it run cleaner. Sunoco sells 94 around here, maybe they do where you live to.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:18 PM
crucial Si
Banned

emissions must suck...we dont do that down here..its been like 4 years...thank god..i wouldnt pass with the turbo
Old 04-22-2003, 03:17 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

10w40 motor oil on really old motors helps the pass inspections as its harder to sneak past worn seals compared to lighter weight oils (probl is when you do a cold start it may wanna die once or twice before idling well)

clean your air filter so it breathes easier...a tune up (new plugs wires) and valve adjustments would do the best measure

make sure when you bring it to the test it is fully warmed up

also find out what area you failed as it could be an emissions item malfunctioning
Old 04-23-2003, 04:37 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by jaje
also find out what area you failed as it could be an emissions item malfunctioning
Yeah, post the results numbers, or at least the ones you failed for.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 AM
nochew

I failed the NOxx for both high and low speeds, think I failed high speed CO2 emissions, though I'm not sure. I failed last summer and am just now being forced to get it taken care of as a constable noticed my expired inspection and decided he wanted to pull me over. Nothing like a ticket to put a fire under one's ass.