Notices

1991 civic removing alternator

Old 04-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Don Ward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 civic removing alternator

I have unbolted the alternator from a 1991 civic - how to I get the thing out?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:44 AM
crxb16er

LOL thats the worst part, u can remove it from ur wheel well(hopefully someone will have details on this), try to slide it out between the gap between ur intake manifold and ur firewall (this was my way but its very hard) or try to bring it from under the car(no clue how to do this). my way requires putting a wood block under ur engine and raising it up a little to give u slightly more room to work with, then slide it out from the top. not too hard just a pita to manuever it around while not tearing ur hands to peices,slides between the intake manifold and ur firewall just left of the brake master cylinder.but it is a very tight squeeze hopefully someone has an easier way thru the wheel well or soemthing for u cuz my firewall is now kinda banged back with a hammer in the spot i remove it from cuz ive done it like 4 or 5 times now, doesnt hurt ur car at all to bang in the firewall a little but then again u may not want to if ur worried about hurting ur baby. removing the bolts and the wires from it is always the easy part, BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:23 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i belive there was a thread on this a few weeks ago, i'll search in a minute
Old 04-19-2003, 12:24 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ght=alternator
Old 04-19-2003, 02:25 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I did this yesterday. Its not hard. However I dropped it down from where my axel used to be. A lot of people will tell you you need to remove the axel to get it out, some say all you have to take off is the alternator bracket to have enough room. Also you might be able to like move it under the intake manifold and maybe there is room to pop it out on the other side of the engine.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:27 PM
crxb16er

hey look i posted almost the same thing on the other post. hee hee, ive had too much to drink, ok back to work for me
Old 04-19-2003, 06:17 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
I did this yesterday. Its not hard. However I dropped it down from where my axel used to be. A lot of people will tell you you need to remove the axel to get it out, some say all you have to take off is the alternator bracket to have enough room. Also you might be able to like move it under the intake manifold and maybe there is room to pop it out on the other side of the engine.
Whether or not you have to take the axle out depends on what tranny you have. I didn't have to when I had my Si tranny, but my ZC tranny required it. Also, I had to take the bracket off for both. I tried the other side tactic too, but to no avail.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

doesnt look so hard to me

Old 04-21-2003, 09:13 AM
crxb16er

nice once i get my garage i'm definitely gonna have to get an engine stand and the equipment to pull the engine any time i want. so many times i have problems where itd come in handy and all my friends have little honda and acuras too
Old 04-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by crxb16er
nice once i get my garage i'm definitely gonna have to get an engine stand and the equipment to pull the engine any time i want. so many times i have problems where itd come in handy and all my friends have little honda and acuras too
oh, its a crane, im gonna buy a stand next week i think.