Notices

Engine Oil in Tranny???

Old 04-14-2003, 09:11 AM
klowndwarf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil in Tranny???

I am rebuilding my D15A3 in my 87 Crx si 1.5L 12v and one of the things I was after was seeing if the rear main seal was leaking because my new clutch was slipping big time. Out on the floor, the tranny has grass and oil all in the bell housing. Now my dad says the rear main seal is not leaking, but somehow Oil has been in there for a long time. Can anyone offer any input on this? I have inquired partsamerica.com for axle input seals to try that. Thank you very Much for your help in advance!
Old 04-14-2003, 02:11 PM
AwwsChwA

Default Re: Engine Oil in Tranny???

Honda manual transmissions are designed to run on basic 10/30 motor oil. So, your rear main seal may not be leaking, but the input shaft seal on the transmission may be leaking. You'll want to get that fixed before you put in the tranny, becuz a leaking tranny seal will ruin your clutch disk. It's also probably a good idea to replace the rear main seal too, while you've got the car taken apart. I didn't do my rear main when I did a clutch a year and a half ago, and now its leaking.

The grass in the bell housing is wierd, though. If that little cover plate is in place (covers the flywheel at the bottom of the bell housing), you shouldn't get anything larger than maybe very very small sand or dirt particles in there. Clean the bell housing out well, and when you put it in, make sure that cover plate is installed properly when it's put together.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:16 PM
klowndwarf

Default thank you

First and formost, thank you very much for your input and quick response!!!

Now, so the part that I want to get is called an input shaft seal to be correct? I plan on getting a new rear main seal anyway as you advised b/c its got 187,000 miles on it and its bound to go out sooner than later. Also, every part that can be cleaned and/or polished is getting the treatment believe me! I will not stand for anything but silver! I must say though the pistons and jugs in this engine look like straigh out of the factory!!! It makes me wonder b/c there was new fuel filter/fuel pump/plugs/wires/timing belt when I got this Si. Owell, I do love the car and can't wait to fix all the mechanical defects and move on to visuals!! thanks again!, keith
Old 04-14-2003, 11:57 PM
AwwsChwA

you're welcome, that's what we're here for:thumbup:

Yes, the seal you want to replace is located on the transmission, it's the main seal that fits around the input shaft (the part that the clutch attaches to) and seals the fluid into the gearbox.

It sounds like you're doing a complete engine rebuild, am I correct? And what exactly are "jugs"? I've never heard that term before.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:56 AM
klowndwarf

Basically yes, I am doing an engine rebuild, Jugs are the name I gave to the cylinder walls :-). I can't wait to drive it! I've be deprived for almost 8 days now. Where should I post a question about whether or not Accord parts will fit my car b/c I got a guy who will give me an entire car for 100bucks (its worth it if the parts will fit)?

I looked up that part and it only costs 5 bucks! So far I am upto around $370 in repairs, the most expensive being the 170 dollar radiator.

How inportant would you rate replacing my throwout bearing. I think I will though because its out, and its cheap. thanks again!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:07 PM
v8guy
Professor

Jugs are what girls have on their chests. J/K

Actually air-cooled VW engines and many motorcycle engines use replaceable cylinders. These are referred to in laymans terms as "jugs".