Notices

brake ques. for 1stGenCRXer

Old 02-14-2003, 09:17 AM
mullinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear of your car is so light, you're not going to benefit from a rear disc conversion. And if you're going to use the full Integra rear axle to do the swap, your rear track is going to increase by about .5" which will make it difficult to increase your tire width.

If you want to improve your braking there are three things to do. I'll mention them in order of their benefit:

1. Flush your brake lines with new fluid. You can't use DOT 5, BTW.

2. Install Porterfield R4S pads.

3. Get aftermarket wheels that allow more air to hit your brakes.

4. Install braided steel brake lines.

Although I haven't done it, you might consider installing larger front brakes. You can find more info at http://www.redpepperracing.com

If you do get bigger fronts, consider a larger master cylinder. You can find more info on that among the tech articles on my site--
http://www.mullinator.com/crx/

-scott
Old 02-14-2003, 05:14 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by mullinator
You can't use DOT 5, BTW.
You can't use DOT 5 if your original system was DOT 3 or 4, but if you install all new components, and flush your brake lines with a solvent, you can indeed use DOT 5 [the only time that you absolutely CAN NOT use DOT 5 fluid is in anti-lock braking systems]. I should know, it's what's in my car now, and ALL components dealing with the brakes have been changed, and the lines flushed before the car was ever put on the road [after I got it anyways]. It is a lot more work [and money] to convert over to DOT 5, but it indeed can be done.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:25 AM
WhiteRice

What's the difference between Dot 3, 4, 5? I know when I flushed my brakes I was specifically told to get dot 5, but wasn't sure why.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:08 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Whoa, whoa whoa!

Dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are all mixable, but Dot 5 IS NOT!

Dot 5 is a silicone fluid, does not absorb water and has a higher boiling point than Dot 3, 4 and 5.1, which do absorb water over time. NEVER mix Dot 5 fluid with any other fluid, simple reason is that they interact and cause precipitates, which can block ports and lines in the braking system, causing it to not work at all. Needless to say this is NOT A GOOD THING!

Edit: to answer the question though, the DOT ratings are general ranges that the fluids fall into for dry [new] and saturated [absorbed water] fluid's boiling points. Generally, the higher the number, the higher it's respective boiling points will be.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:33 AM
spdzone

thanks Mull and 1stGen, you guys have given me great advice.

I think i'm going to go with getting bigger lighter wheels, 15s at the most. Then I'll look into getting larger fronts. When I do that I'll do the steel braided lines too. I've scratched the idea of converting the rears.

thanks again
Old 02-16-2003, 09:32 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

on my 86rexSI, i converted the rears and no doubt it was worth it....and when u autocross, scca or otherwise, with "top of the line pads" and stock rotors, your brakes will fade so bad on a hot day you WILL NOT compete.....i dont buy into everthing, but the bigger the rotors are, the more they need the slots...i dont like xdrilled cuz they crack so easily, but unless you go with a carbon fiber brake system, the heat will get to it.......for the street, though, it sure looks purdy.....and this is from my experience and doing lil tests with the temp gun....i feel like my integra rear disc, with slots all around, braided lines, and whatever upper grade pads i had at the time were worth it.....im gonna get gas slotted rotors on all four corners for my h22a 4th gen accord too.....not planning on autox it, but i hate not having good brakes.....had bad experiences with an xr4ti with 300+hp and (25hp)brakes...almost bought me a new cadillac cuz they faded to the point i had to give up on stopping and find a place to ditch it....those were 2900lb cars with awful braking systems, and that does matter....maybe i'm paranoid.....just a lil insurance
Old 02-17-2003, 07:08 AM
spdzone

thanks fizz. now i'm up in the air about converting the rears. should i or shouldn't i? but knowing me i prolly just might do it.

i was going to go with the slotted in the front, no doubt.

anyone have any suggestions on what slotted rotors or pads to get?
Old 02-22-2003, 06:50 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

Originally posted by spdzone
thanks fizz. now i'm up in the air about converting the rears. should i or shouldn't i? but knowing me i prolly just might do it.

i was going to go with the slotted in the front, no doubt.

anyone have any suggestions on what slotted rotors or pads to get?
brembo