Notices

89 Si Brake noise.

Old 01-30-2003, 04:36 AM
SilverMPower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Si Brake noise.

When I brake in my 89 Si, I hear this weird squeak/grind from the driver side. I checked the pads and they are fine. Rotors are straight as they were resurfaced not too long ago. Any ideas what it could be? Caliper perhaps?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Bogatyr

SilverMPower,
You checked both the inner and outer pads? The inner ones are the ones with the wear indicator and usually wear first. Unless you pulled them, you can't be certain.
Other options could be something lodged in between the caliper and the pad, or a caliper not retracting.
Why were your rotors resurfaced not too long ago? New pads? Perhaps the caliper was stuck since then and the inner pad is now down to nothing.
Bogatyr
Old 01-30-2003, 09:39 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Maybe your dust shields are touching your rotors.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:24 PM
SilverMPower

I only get noise when I'm on the brakes. When I let off, the noise is gone. I've checked the pads and they are fine.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:28 PM
Bogatyr

SilverMPower,
Hmm, ok if the pads or the wear bars aren't making the noise, do you have any unusual scoring on the rotors? Is everything else tight (ie the 14mm bolts holding the caliper to the bracket)? Maybe a flex line is loose and moving into something under braking. I think you're just going to have to get under there and try wiggling stuff around.
I wonder...when you say from the driver's side...could that not mean the brakes themselves? Maybe it's a noise coming from the booster or MC or return spring?
Bogatyr