Notices

HELP! 89 CRX Si

Old 01-27-2003, 10:14 AM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 89 CRX Si

ok my friend has a 89 CRX Si. he's the 4th owner of this car. the recent problems we've been experiencing is that the car doesn't start. well, we've replaced the starter and then upon iginition.. u can hear the starter spinning. but after that... nothing. then after a push start, the car starts, or if jumped by a truck battery then it starts. but the battery, spark plugs and caps and wires are fine. once the car starts... there are tons of white smoke coming out. so i am guess it's running lean. so what could be the culprit??? fuel injectors, FPR, fuel pump??? please advise. thanks.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:27 AM
RiceBoysDream

white smokes usually a sign of a headgasket. u say if u push start it itll start all the time? if so, its your starter. if the car doesnt crank at all and your lights and horn dont work its your battery. where u live is it cold? if so the white smoke can also be condensation, when a car is cold all cars smoke on startup, and the smoke is white.

just use some fuel treatment and see if that cures the problem if u think its a fuel delivery problem.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Bogatyr

tokyoracer,
At first, when you said you could hear the starter spinning but not engaging, I was thinking either you have a bad starter, or no teeth on the flywheel
But, if you can jump start it, that doesn't make sense.
You say the battery is fine...what kind of voltage do you have at the terminals?
Is the smoke coming out the back steam or coolant enriched? Does it have an odor?
Bogatyr
Old 01-27-2003, 02:56 PM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by Bogatyr
tokyoracer,
At first, when you said you could hear the starter spinning but not engaging, I was thinking either you have a bad starter, or no teeth on the flywheel
But, if you can jump start it, that doesn't make sense.
You say the battery is fine...what kind of voltage do you have at the terminals?
Is the smoke coming out the back steam or coolant enriched? Does it have an odor?
Bogatyr
thanks for the fast reply.

the starter is good, and flywheel is fine... as for the jumping part... u got me there too. cuz last nite... AAA came when the car wouldn't start at costco parking lot... and he just jumped it... and it worked. so go figure. I think it's standard 12volt.

as for the smoke... it's coming out of the exhaust... and smoke is white... with water dripping out. there is a smell to it as well, not like ur regular exhaust smell. coolant is fine...

also, there are some oil around the spark plug when i removed it. but sparks has been replaced. the previous ones ended up being white... which i know that means it's running lean. so what do you think?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:53 PM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by RiceBoysDream
white smokes usually a sign of a headgasket. u say if u push start it itll start all the time? if so, its your starter. if the car doesnt crank at all and your lights and horn dont work its your battery. where u live is it cold? if so the white smoke can also be condensation, when a car is cold all cars smoke on startup, and the smoke is white.

just use some fuel treatment and see if that cures the problem if u think its a fuel delivery problem.
i think the headgasket needs to be replaced... cuz there are sign of oil on the outside. as for push start... majority of the time it will start. i live in cali... and it's not too cold... so the white smoke has to be something else being mixed with the gas upon combustion. horn and lights works find... and battery checked out good. connections are good too.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Bogatyr

tokyoracer,
Hmm, yes, I know you have a standard 12 volt battery, but you should get a tester to read what it's putting out at the terminals. If memory serves, anything below 12.6 and the battery is low. Until you know this, you're shooting in the dark. You can pick up a cheap multimeter most anywhere for 15$ or less.
Clearly, if it can be jumped and worked, it's either putting out less than the minimum voltage required, or the AAA tech did something else...maybe there's enough corrosion on the battery terminals to prevent you from getting a good connection. Maybe he jiggled things around enough to make a good ground...
Hmm, sounds like just steam, but to be sure, you may want to do a chemical test of the coolant or have an oil analysis done to verify that you have no coolant contamination in the oil. Chances are, with the cold that most of the country is experiencing, you're just seeing steam.
Now, the oil around the plugs...was that on the outside of the plug or the electrode? The former simply means that the valve cover grommets need to be replaced...do that next time you adjust your valves...no big deal. I'm assuming that's what it is as you said the plugs were white...
As far as running lean, if you're not experiencing any pinging or loss of power, I'd say deal with it, you're getting better mileage that way anyway...
Uh, I thought white plugs meant running warm...did you go and put some kind of freaky plugs in there?
Bogatyr
Old 01-27-2003, 05:02 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

You might be buring a little colant, i've seen it happen on a car when they start it up it was blowing out white smoke constantly, but you might wanna check the headgasket too.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:23 PM
WhiteRice

If your head gasket is giong, replace the gasket seals and rings and valve cover seals, etc....and hopefully that'll take care of the oil on the plugs too.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:44 PM
cwhiteboy

If the smell from your exhaust is kinda sickly sweet, its your headgasket. I've delt with too many of those on my old taurus...
Old 01-29-2003, 10:39 PM
ryewdedyet

You need to perform a battery load test. If you're going to be using a Snap-On Battery Load testing device or some sort or even a VAT40, set the amps to 180. Your final voltage reading should be above 9.6volts. If its close to 9.6 volts then you might want to consider replacing your battery. If it's below 9.6 volts then you definitely need to replace the battery.

If replacing the battery fixes the problem the sad news is that the problem may reoccur because you might have a charging system problem. Or even worst a parasitic load. Meaning that you have a device that is draining the battery when the car is turned off. It also helps to make sure that the battery teminals are securely fastened onto the battery post. If there are any corrosion (blue powder) on the battery post then that means a bad or intermittent connection. You'll need to clean that up by brushing it away. Besure not to breath it or get any on your clothes 'cause it'll eat up your clothes.

You're problem may be as simple as an old battery and replacing it will fix the problem. But before you buy a new battery be sure to do some diagnostics so you don't waste your money on parts you didn't need.