Notices

Engine Cleaning

Old 01-12-2003, 02:16 PM
StickyHydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cleaning

My engine is pretty dirty, and i was wondering how i can go about cleaning without messing anything up.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Bogatyr

Default cleaning...

StickyHydro,
You have a number of options here. Firstoff, there is the good old Gunk Foaming Engine cleaner. You spray it on a warmish engine, wait and then hose off...heh, preferably at a car wash. If you're going to use a high pressure hose, just stay away from the electrical bits.
If the engine is out of the car, I've used kerosene with great results.
One thing to keep in mind. A number of engine cleaners tout the fact that they are "environmentally friendly". That's all good and nice, but the crap that you're cleaning off your engine isn't. Just be aware that dilution is the solution to pollution.
Bogatyr
Old 01-12-2003, 11:59 PM
AwwsChwA

Default Re: cleaning...

It's an engine. It's gonna get dirty. Get over it.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:16 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i use brake cleaner for mine and a bunch of shop towels...stuff that won't come off i've used steel wool to coerce it
Old 01-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Bogatyr

Default well...sure it's gonna get dirty...but

AwwsChwa,
Well, yes, it might get dirty, but I've always found that it's easier to work in a clean engine bay. For example, if you do develop an oil leak, it's much easier to troubleshoot where the leak is coming from if there is minimal oil on the exterior of the engine.

The other thing I try to do is clean a part all the way up once I have it off the engine. That reminds me, I have to clean the latch release mechanism on the wife's Civic, it's all crudded up from the PO.
Bogatyr
Old 01-13-2003, 09:18 AM
cwhiteboy

Yeah, just get some Gunk engine cleaner, spray it on, let it sit for about 1 min or so and spray off and then work on the dirtier parts. If you get water in the distributor (youll know if you do when you start your car ) just take the cap off and clean it out.