Notices

Temp Gauge problem (help!!!!)

Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 AM
katejetta4
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Gauge problem (help!!!!)

ok well i just got my car back after having a new water pump ad timing belt put in....

well before i took it in the temp gauge barley went above Cold and i fiqured it wa sbecause of the water pump leaking.....

well now i got it back and it goes up about this far...

and now i drove it today and it stayed that low...but when i turned the heat on it slowly went down.,..

what could the problem be?

do i need a new thermostat!? help!
Old 01-08-2003, 11:40 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

With the engine cold pop the hood and remove your radiator cap. Turn on the car then dump in some 50/50 Coolant/Water mix and see if it drinks it up, if so that should cure you cooling problem. If it doesn't it's possible your Thermostat is messed up.

Oh and seeing how you said when you turn on the heat it goes down. It's possible the relay for your fans is dead making your fans not come on, this could explain why your temp isn't at H. When coolant is low heat usually doesn't even work.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:44 AM
katejetta4
Banned

im confused on what ur saying....

the heat works....

u saying ym car is overheating?
"With the engine cold pop the hood and remove your radiator cap. Turn on the car then dump in some 50/50 Coolant/Water mix and see if it drinks it up, if so that should cure you cooling problem"

whats that mean?

and the guy who fixed my car replaced all the antifreeze
Old 01-08-2003, 11:49 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Low Coolant in Radiator = Overheating because of not enough coolant.

The heatercore is under the dashboard and the radiator all the way in the front of the car so when it's low the heat stops working. But you said heat works and it goes down when you turn it on so I don't think it's coolant, I think it's the fans not working.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:39 PM
katejetta4
Banned

ok this is how high it goes before i start driving.....

then it goes all the way down to cold after driving for like 20mins...!??

do i need a new thermo!? thanx

Old 01-08-2003, 03:06 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

OKAY!!!!! try this, sit in a garage or something inclosed and not seeing cold air... rev up to 3 and hold and see if temp gauge stays at that point or keeps going up..... if it goes up your thermostat is bad (replace it fast or else your overheating) if it stays the same then your radiator is taking in too much cold air (Like Mine is right now). and when you drive does the temp go down? cuz mine does that cuz my radiator is getting so cold that its like my engine has never been started up. so find out if thats it.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:10 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

if its just cuz your radiator is getting too much cold air, that is good, just don't run the car hard or else stuff will lock up probably.... here and after you've been driving for awhile feel your radiator cap and top of radiator, is it cold? is it hot? Cold = too much cold air, Hot = bad thermo....but don't feel it after its been in garage cuz it'll be hot if its in an enclosed area so try it after your gauge goes DOWN.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:11 PM
katejetta4
Banned

im confused why would i over heat@!?
Old 01-08-2003, 03:13 PM
katejetta4
Banned

give me some tests to do and i'll go do em...and come back and tell you...btw i have no garage
Old 01-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Bogatyr

Default thermostat

katejetta4,
I think the key is in the first post you made. You said that before the car went in for the water pump and belt, the heat barely went above cold. This is a classic symptom of a thermostat being stuck open. Chances are this is the original thermostat, but you didn't mention the year and model of the car. Ah, I see 149k on your odometer...
Swap out the thermostat with an OEM Honda part. I've tried a number of aftermarket thermostat's and was truly unimpressed by the quality. The Honda part is a nice hefty piece of brass with a gasket that slips around it. For example, the NAPA part was a small tinny little thing with no gasket included...eek.
Now, your gauge seems to read exactly where all of my Hondas have been when they are operating normally, so don't worry about that, you're finally running normally.
Here's my theory:
You start up and the car warms up slowly. The thermostat is stuck open so the warmer coolant is circulating everywhere. Let's say you start driving at this point. The extra cool air hitting the radiator will cool you down further. If the thermostat was working, it would close at this point to compensate. Similarly, when you turn on the heater, that coolant is now circulating to the heater core, further reducing your operating temp.
IMO it's not really worth testing a thermostat as long as you get a good replacement one. Last time I checked they cost about 8$ for a Honda part. You'll have to drain a bit of coolant and you'll inevitably spill some when cracking open the housing, so have some of that on hand. If memory serves, it's just three 10mm bolts holding the housing to the block.
Bogatyr