Notices

broken valve cover bolt

Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 AM
excitid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken valve cover bolt

Well I over tightened it and it snapped off the whole top part with the threads on it. What can I do to fix this. I used alot of gasket sealer but it only lasted a week its leaking again.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:18 AM
Bogatyr

Default a few options

excitid,
You have a few options. I think the least agreeable is to drill the thing out and retap it.
The first thing I'd try would be to break out the Dremel and try cutting a slot in what's left of the bolt. Then you can try to get a screwdriver in there to extract it. Once you have a little out, get the vice-grips to remove the rest. If it broke off flush with the head you'll have to be really careful.
You could also try drilling a small hole in the bolt and using one of those bolt extractors, but I've never had much luck with those.
Bogatyr
Old 01-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Have you had the valve cover off to investigate yet? The two studs in the front (If you are still running a SOHC) are actually studs mounted into bolts and can be removed by a good 12mm wrench, while the rears are actual studs threaded into the head. One of my friends recently snapped one of his fronts (D16A6 head), so I pulled one of the stud-bolts out of a spare CX (D15B8) head and it screwed right into his. If you are not so lucky as to have snapped a front one, you can only do what Bogatyr said.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:45 AM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Yeah im that friend ^ but its a D15B7 head but yeah its just a bolt remover that and put the new one in then presto its done. :-)
Old 01-07-2003, 01:13 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

It's attached to the head with a stud, get yourself a stud remover for your socket wrench and just unscrew it, get a new one and install it back. I think the torque spec is like 7ft-lbs or something barely snug.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:33 AM
excitid

yeah its the rear one. I did it on my bros dx but his tranny is whining and and popping out of gear and chattering and slipping like hell so I guess I'll have to take care of that first. thanks for the help guys.