Notices

Replacing my rear drums this weekend.

Old 01-06-2003, 02:35 PM
WhiteRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my rear drums this weekend.

As the subject says, I'm replacing my rear drums this weekend. I've never worked w/drums before. I've replaced rotors/pads/etc, but never drums. Can anyone refer me to a How To site, or write a step by step process for me? Also, how much time is involved, from jacking up the car, to dropping it back down. Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Bogatyr

WhiteRice,
If you've never done it before, plan on an afternoon just to be safe. As usual, the shop manual is your best resource as everything is clearly illustrated.
With Honda drum brakes, I've found the most annoying part to be reassembling all of the fiddly little springs. I have noticed, if I get the main spring on between the two shoes and then slide them over the cylinder it's a tad easier, but there aren't really any tricks other than practice, remember, drum brakes are 1930's technology. The only difference is that parking brake cable.
You should have the regular array of wrenches on hand. I wish I recalled the size, but I have two bolts in my tool kit that I keep around to force the drum from the hub, just screw them in and the hub comes off if it's at all seized.
Have extra brake fluid on hand in case you need to bleed out the system.
Don't use too much force on that bleed valve...you'll break it off...BTDT.
Use brake grease on the sides of the shoes that come in contact with the backing plate as well as the tensioner adjuster parts.
Some people are religious about not touching the shoes...I say don't worry if you get a little grease or brake fluid on them...it's going to wear off pretty quickly.
Heh, only disassemble one side at a time incase you don't have the manual and forget how those springs go.
Bogatyr
Old 01-10-2003, 07:19 PM
WhiteRice

Well it's going down tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!!!!

Thanks for the help Bogatyr. It'll definately come in handy.