Notices

1stGenCRXer- DCOE question

Old 01-02-2003, 04:29 PM
2old_honda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1stGenCRXer- DCOE question

where did you get your DCOE manifold? Did you, or a shop make it? Or did you get it from Pierce Manifolds?

thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 04:48 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

It's a TWM manifold that came in a Redline Weber kit from www.carbs.net, so I don't know the manifold part number, but you can order the manifold directly from TWM, it is listed as "for FI heads only." Which makes sense because it's for the non-CVCC head, which were fuel injected in this country.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:17 PM
2old_honda

thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 05:21 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

That's what I'm here for

Looking at some DCOEs?
Old 01-02-2003, 05:27 PM
2old_honda

nope, I just got a set. I am now looking at my manifold and linkage options
Old 01-02-2003, 05:38 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Ah yes...

Well, as you mentioned, Pierce makes a manifold, but I've only ever messed with TWM manifolds, which need a little massaging with a die grinder to match up to the intake ports [aka, best done with the head off the engine], and to the carb bodies [I used the softmount gaskets as the guide actually].

As for linkage, you may be able to call up the guys at Carbs Unlimited and see if they could sell you just the kit linkage. I like it more than some other linkages I've seen because it's a down pull style, a plate bolts to the bottom of one of the carbs that has a cable guide and the cable goes up to a barell lock in between the two carbs. The other linkage I've seen bolts to the valve cover [and can use the stock throttle cable], which I don't like because DCOEs were meant to be soft mounted, so how great can the linkage be if the carbs are bouncing and the linkage points aren't? The downsides are that you need an aftermarket throttle cable [I'm using a shortened MGB throttle cable with a modified plastic guide at the firewall] and I have noticed, with the down pull style linkage is that I'm only getting around 85-90% throttle, which is ok for street use, but I still need to look in to how to get some more pull on the cable for the days I use my car for competition.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:51 PM
2old_honda

have you used the PM3714 linkage? (go here about 1/2 way down the page) I talked to someone that said they swear by that linkage.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:55 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

No I haven't, although I do have to say it seems to be much more complicated than it needs to be. The two I'm referring two both use a direct connection of the cable to an arm mounted to the throttle shafts. Although that seems to be a linkage setup for cars with limited space, I also have to say that if it works, it works :dunno:
Old 01-02-2003, 05:59 PM
2old_honda

thats kind of what I was thinking. that kit is also fairly expensive. do you happen to have any part numbers or any pics of the setup you were talking about?
Old 01-03-2003, 05:52 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by 2old_honda
any pics of the setup you were talking about?
Me? Have pics of my setup? Neeeever....
http://linus.highpoint.edu/~hleach/c...ancinglink.JPG kinda big, which is why I'll just post the links
http://linus.highpoint.edu/~hleach/c...lefirewall.JPG I'm not using that throttle cable any more, but I'm still using the same modified grommet in the fire wall. I was using that teflon sheathed throttle cable from kart racing, but due to the angle the throttle cable pulls inside the car, it would eventually eat through the sheath and start hanging a bit. I'm now using a steel sheathed throttle cable that was made for an MGB, but I've shortened for this application. Works very well, 7 months and zero problems.
http://linus.highpoint.edu/~hleach/c.../returnsp1.JPG I've also added this wheel with an extra return spring, I didn't like the slow decel of the engine without this extra spring. Currently I'm not running the air box, so the other end of the spring is attached to a fabricated sheet metal bracket that attaches to the top air horn stud and comes down to about the mid point of the carb body to provide a straight pull on the spring.
http://linus.highpoint.edu/~hleach/c.../carbsman2.jpg and here's the pic of the bracket on the bottom side.