Notices

Civic trunk leak - help?

Old 12-19-2002, 09:16 AM
grundy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic trunk leak - help?

I have a 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback - running strong with 185,000 on it. The problem is that I get water leaking into the trunk area when it rains - which it does quite a lot here in NorCal.

Last year I thought that I had the problem solved. The rain gutters drain onto the tops of the taillight assemblies - the taillights were filling up with water and leaking into the trunk. After failing to keep the water out, I simply drilled drainholes in the taillights assemblies and had no more problems.

We just had our first serious rain here, and the trunk is once again full of water - seems to be isolated to the right side. I don't think it came through the taillights, but I can't figure out where the water has come from.

Any suggestions on what might be the source of the leak?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:36 AM
WhiteRice

Check to make sure your rear windows are completely shutting. My old DX's didn't shut. It didn't let rain in, but when I'd take it to get it washed, water would dribble down the inside from the pressure washer.

For the taillights, I hear buying new gaskets will rid you of your taillamp leaks.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
grundy

I'll check the windows. I did replace the gaskets - and the realized that the taillights were so old that the seams had opened up - they just soaked up the water. At that point I just gave up and took the redneck method of drilling holes in the to let the water out...
Old 12-19-2002, 04:32 PM

I hear buying new gaskets will rid you of your taillamp leaks...

they cost like $34 at honda..fawk that...

take the tail lights out, and put some silicone caulk in between the gasket and tail lamp, and then silicone on the out side..