Notices

Looking for info on future project. Long Post

Old 12-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Knightmare69
Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on future project. Long Post

I'm going to buy my GF's 91 Civic Dx in about a year to turn into a project car. I'm looking to get some ideas from the Guru's of this forum. I have most of the simple stuff planned out like power locks and windows and so on. What I really need to know is ideas for power. I need to know what are the most compatible engines for the car. I'm looking for an engine that can handle boost. The car is still an automatic so a manual tranny needs to be dropped in. What are my options. I also need to most likely replace basic parts on the car, what should I look for on this car with over 100g miles on it? This is a short list of my plans for the car:

1) Replace the suspension with GC coilover sleeves matched with Koni adjustables

2) Eibach Sways and still looking for decent Strut Bars for F&R.

3) 15in Gunmetal Rims matched with Kumho's for the track and 17in Gunmetals for the street.

4) Apex-i Universal N1 Muffler and Random Tech Cat.

5) Powerstop Cross-Drilled Rotors for the front matched with either Axxis metal-masters or AEM pads. Rear rotor conversion later on with AEM's Big Brake Kit.

6) Tinted Altezzas or tinted factory tail lights, Projector headlights with 6-7k HID's, Sidemarkers.

7) Subtle bodykit that can house a FMIC

8) Oil and Tranny Cooler,Fluidyne Radiator and electric fan.

Please feel free to add ideas or comments, I need to boost the car eventually so I'm also looking for a engine that can run strong N/A and then Blown with internal mods. Also, if you suggest an engine, please add specs for internal mods to use for FI if you can. Sorry for the long post.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:18 PM
WhiteRice

First off, I wouldn't buy her car, UNLESS it's for next to nohting. Changing auto to manual is not an easy task. I'd look for a manual to begin with.

Second, it's a DX...there's nothing that's compatible w/it!! Just playin. A ZC (which I prefer) or b16 would be your best choice. It all depends on the amount of money and/or time you want to spend.

Thirdly, you say you are going to replace the basic parts? I'm assuming this means mechanical (timing belt, water pump, etc) parts? If you are doing a swap, don't waste your time.

Fourthly, that's not a "short" list. In fact it's a rather long list. I hope you have a bottomless wallet or a credit card w/a high limit!!! Good luck!!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Knightmare69
Hater

I'm buying her car for $500-1g depending on the condition it'll be in when I obtain it. I don't have a bottomless wallet, this car will be garaged for sometime with the mods slowly coming into play. Since we're gonna be in NY, there's really no need to have a car so I find that to be the best time to do this. I'm anticipating this project to take from over a 1year to 2 1/2 years to complete. I'm gonna be taking my time with this since I'l be paying for colege and rent at the sametime. Besides, I've read posts where people are saying that I can buy engines for under 1g.

Also, the basic parts I was referring to were like CV joints and all that. Sorry for not being clear on that.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:44 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

there are several posts here on swaps so try a search for info and we can answer more specific questions

as for 17" on a civic...tooooooo big...17" wheels aside from pure aesthetic effect significantly hamper performance...they are heavy and create havoc with the suspension...it's rotational inertia (since its diameter is longer and moves weight further to the ends) it reduces acceleration and increases braking...b/c its heavier than stock it adds unsprung weight and overtasks the front suspension...and 17" wheels in ny pothole territory is asking for a bent rim

15" for track racing is fine...make sure you get > 6.5" width...the largest i'd go on an ef civic is 15" for street
Old 12-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

If you're planning on boost, and since it's a project car, I'd slap an Ls engine in there. Good compression numbers for boost, strong and reliable, and not too hard on the wallet (as far as swaps go) As for the auto to manual, I've done it on 5th gens, and it was a breeze. Just takes a little time. That, and you need to be willing to spend a little time fabricating, or ghetto rigging, your shift linkage. As for the swap bars, I wouldn't waste your time until you see how it handles with the shocks and springs. The chassis is pretty damn stiff, and the sways may make it a bit squirrely in the turns.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Knightmare69
Hater

Thanks for all the input thus far.

Bakeoff-What year LS should I be looking for and are you sure that I would need a ghetto rigged shift linkage?

JaJe-I don't plan on any street racing so the 17's are def. for cosmetics only. Besides, I heard that OZ-Racing has some new rims that are extremely light even in 17in forms. Besides, I ran 17in rims on the Bimmer in NYC and had no problems, you just gotta drive like a normal person. LOL
Old 12-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

The Ls engine would be from a 2nd gen teg. The shiftlinkage from the teg might need to be cut a few inches and rewelded, but that's it. And about 17's... I had em on my sol for a while, and they sucked. They grab every bump in the road, and pull you around it the road is rutted at all. And if you lower it a few inches, 15-16's look really nice... Plus, if your roads are like they are here, you'd want a little more rubber to protect your rims...
Old 12-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Knightmare69
Hater

How much power does the 2nd Gen Ls engine put out? And 2nd Gen would be from 92 and on? What OBD's and stuff like that? All together, what would I need to swap over besides the engine and tranny? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:05 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by Knightmare69
How much power does the 2nd Gen Ls engine put out? And 2nd Gen would be from 92 and on? What OBD's and stuff like that? All together, what would I need to swap over besides the engine and tranny? Thanks in advance.
In the 92-93 incarnation, the B18A had 140hp/126ft-lbs. The 90-91 version had 130hp, same torque. Second generation Integras were produced for the 90-93 model years. 90-91 were ODB-0, while 92-93's were OBD-1. To swap, you also need mounts, shift linkage, axles, and a few more bits and pieces as you break stuff while installing and routine maintinance stuff.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:40 AM
Knightmare69
Hater

Thanks for the info Kai