Notices

question about all rex's

Old 12-09-2002, 06:25 PM
bigbob76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about all rex's

I haven't done too much research on rex's but I like the way they look, and I was wondering if you could put power steering on them? thanks in advance for any help.
bob
Old 12-09-2002, 07:44 PM
AwwsChwA

Default Re: question about all rex's

why do you want power steering in a CRX? No need, car is plenty light.

Power steering isn't gonna work in a CRX, cuz the engine block in a CRX doesn't have holes drilled for the pump bracket, and the crank pulley doesn't have room for the drive belt.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:09 PM
firstgencrxsi

You can get power steering on a first gen by swapping over the steering rack from an 86-87 Integra, but I don't know if the power steering pump will bolt to the stock Si motor or if you need the teg motor also.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:39 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by firstgencrxsi
You can get power steering on a first gen by swapping over the steering rack from an 86-87 Integra, but I don't know if the power steering pump will bolt to the stock Si motor or if you need the teg motor also.

The teg rack [and the years are 86-89] is a bit longer than the stock rack on a first gen, and the first gen CRX engine bay doesn't have as much room, definately not enough room if you have AC. Then again comes the question of "why?". I've driven an '85 Si that had a B16 in it, no power steering, and I wouldn't want power steering in it. Still plenty light on the wheel.

The only time I *think* I may have ever wished I had power steering in any CRX I've ever driven was in mine when I was breaking in my LSD, and that's just because it needed worked in before it would engage and disengage properly, now it's as free steering as ever.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:54 AM
bigbob76

thanks for all the adivce. As for why, I've never driven a car without power steering and I've heard bad things about it. I'll just have to test drive one for myslef and see how things go. Once again thanks for the advice.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:55 PM
RiGhTeOuS ReX

u'll love the feeling of a rex the steering responce is pin point acurite espcially with som 16x7" wheels......be careful though since your not used to it..its liable to rip the wheel out of ur hands so hold on but enjoy!
Old 12-11-2002, 04:52 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I told myself that I would never buy a car without power steering. After driving and testing the Civic I bought out it was a month later until I learned it had no power steering. I never even noticed because people told me it was like driving a tank, yes if you drive a 3000lb car, but on one barely breaking the 2000 mark you don't need it.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:10 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

50 or 45 series tires will make it a lil bit tougher to parrallel park, but you could barely notice the diff. other that that, its like driving any other car

if somebody wants to borrow your car [especially girls], just tell them you dont got power steering:thumbup:
Old 12-12-2002, 04:22 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I find it easier to park and turn the wheel with my Rotas/Kumho 50 series, than with my Steelies/Riken 60 series.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:03 AM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

i have power steering

it was put in in 93. i have the reciept in my glove compartment im not sure what they used but i want my manual steering rack back