Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm actually i dont know....

wat should i run them at?
thanks
Old 12-04-2002, 06:16 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

try posting this in the engine tech forum...lots more guys w/ forced induction experience there
Old 12-04-2002, 06:33 PM
boosted cr upra

the gap i dont know... wat should i run them at?
and no it taps when u let off the throttle too
thanks
Old 12-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Speed Phreak
Turbomafia

Originally posted by boosted cr upra
the gap i dont know... wat should i run them at?
and no it taps when u let off the throttle too
thanks
YOu should run your gaps b/t .28~.33 most time. Also that sounds alot like mild detonation to me. You have to realize that in first gear you usaully can't completely spool the turbo, due to the load on the engine not being that great. This is mostly due to the gearing on the tranny. Anyways, depending on the size of your turbo(i'm not to famialiar with Toyo's turbo sizes). 2nd gear prolly puts enough load on the turbo to spool it up enough for you to be detonating, just like every other gear above 2nd. I'd check your fueling to see if you're having issues with going lean.

Since you're running an FMU, and stock injectors I'd suggest you not run over about 5 PSI of boost. Also FMU require a tremedous amount of fuel flow capacity. The Stock Honda pumps flow well, but not enough to support an FMU. And Since I don't see an aftermarket pump on your mod list. So my money is on you're running lean.

Detonating will kill your engine quickly, it's not that hard to detonate on a B16 due to it relatively high compression ratio(where FI is concerned).
Old 12-04-2002, 10:17 PM
rollinEF
going into sleeper status

i have a buddy that is running 12:1 compression and his gap is around .25 and no detonation because when the turbo spools it increases the chance of the spark going out (which i believe causes the detonation and running lean i dont know though i could be wrong). try increasing the fuel pressure and that may help if it is a fuel problem and also check the plugs and see what color they are and post it up.
rollin
Old 12-05-2002, 03:36 AM
SVT NISMO TypeŽ

yea i thonk fuel is a part of it. my friend has a import store www.cipmotorsports.com and i ordered a 255 lph walboro pump. nand i had a set of 450 cc injectors siting around that i was waiting to use when the pump came in. sound good? also at idle when i start it up you can hear the car "pop" or misfire once in a while, its not a back fire. you can just hear a little break up. is that sign of mis firing?
the plugs.... are a little wet around the plug with not gas but looks like oil. but the area where it sparks is fine.
they arent black as hell though.
but i think its fuel because ......
if yo run the car oncold with no vtec working doesnt the ecu setthe fuel pressure different than when its warmed?
my compresion is 9.0 to 1 with je ceramic coated pistons and shot peened rods.
but i think my vavle seals are leaking....
start it up and it blows out smoke.
and when you come to a light and then go.
lol
thanks guys
Old 12-06-2002, 04:25 PM
b17crx

damn does anybody know anything or are you all just making crap up?? first of all, when you say a built b16 what does that mean?? did you get pistons, and rods?? if so, what compression are you running?? it sounds like an ignition problem to me, nothing major. after all you're only boosting 5 pounds. you should check the ignition coil first. just put one that you know is good and see what happens. if that doesnt work what about the cap and rotor. while you're in there check the wires going to the msd if they're shorting out inside the distributor housing (if you have an external coil). also i had an msd that had a short in it and that caused my car to misfire. what fuel pressure are you running the car at idle?? the ticking you're hearing from the rockers probably means that you need a valve adjustment, why dont you check that out. you can run up to 18 pounds of boost on stovk gsr injectors so i dont see why you cant run 5 on b16's. and the fuel pump i seriously doubt you need that for only 5 pounds too.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:25 PM
BTLFED
I eat paint chips.

Yeah, your right......we no nothing about Hondas in this forum. If it was the ignition, don't you think it would do it all the time? Or does his ignition misfire when it gets warm? I had the same problem and it was the car was running rich when it was cold but would lean out once the car and the ECU warmed up. I just turned up my fuel pressure a little bit to compensate for it. Now it doesn't spit and spudder under boost. Just my $0.02.

Also, I have never seen a GSR with 18lbs of boost run safely on stock injectors. They always lean out on the top end at full boost.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:57 PM
boosted cr upra

my dad said he thinks it has something to do with the ignition and ill check that next and yes the car runs waaaayyyy to rich. u can smell the full dumpin out of the car.and as in built it has shot peened rods. ceramic coated je pistons , 9.0 to 1 compression. and i did adjust the valves and then it it was not as loud but now its back. and yes it does need a full pump if im gonna run 14 to 20 psi so the pump is a must.
thanks guyys
Old 12-16-2002, 11:06 PM
dalight777

Default ...

Is your car running off a different fuel/ignition map when it warms up? I'm not sure about the B16A, but I know some other cars run off different maps at different temperatures. You can try checking that, it's likely that the "warm" map is leaning out your car too much... Have you tried testing your A/F on a dyno?

Hope this helps...