Notices

rack and pinion

Old 12-02-2002, 02:37 PM
excitid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion

How hard is this to change. Is it something that can be rebuilt at home or a good shop. Oh and can I replace it with a non power unit if I don't want the ps. This is in reference to a 90 4wd wagon.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:55 PM
wagon89

I woud not recommend trying to rebuild it yourself, You would be better off using it as a core. Im sure you could replace it with a non power unit as my 2wd wagon does not have PS.

PS IM looking for some stiffer shocks for my wagon any ideas? I don't want to lower it niether what makes a CRX/HB shocks any different? Would like to use bilsteins or KYB's
Old 12-02-2002, 05:57 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

If you're pretty mechanically inclined, you should be able to pull it and put a new one in. It would take a few days, but for the cost savings would be well worth it.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:56 AM
excitid

Originally posted by wagon89

PS IM looking for some stiffer shocks for my wagon any ideas? I don't want to lower it niether what makes a CRX/HB shocks any different? Would like to use bilsteins or KYB's
I'm currently running stock struts and springs form an si on the wagon in front and I still need to swap out the rears. I wanted to lower the ride height but couldn't find anything aftermarket to use on it so when one of the front ones went out I swapped it with an si strut and spring and it was lower so I did the other side and had a nice 3in drop with stock feel and the camber isn't bad with the gsr wheels. Its nice having a stock feel with about a 3in drop anyways. I believe the 92-95 struts are longer or maybe just the fork part is longer that may help you retain the stock ride height with some good aftermarket struts made for the newer civics or tegs. My brother put some 5th gen struts on his rex and it got taller, even with the lowering springs so maybe some kybs made for the 5th gens would solve your problems.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:46 AM
wagon89

Do you think the stock wagon springs will fit on a set of 5th gen struts I fit get lowered a little bit it would not bother me but 3 inches is alot. What makes it get lower the si springs or the are the struts shorter? Sorry for all the questions but the wagons are like the bastard of the 4th gen car.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2002, 04:33 AM
excitid

I'll be honest I believe its the springs because I looked at the whole assemblies side by side and there was not a 3in difference. I would use your wagon springs. I couldn't because I had mine cut when I was into the lowrider thing a few years back. I'm planning to use some agxs with the regular 2wd springs as soon as winter is over and drop a zc into the wagon with a little boost. I saw a 4wd with a z6 and 5lbs of boost http://yota1man.tripod.com/vtecwagon/ if his holds up then I will try it. Unlike most of the civic loving population I love my wagon its our 5th one.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:47 AM
excitid

what causes the rack to go bad.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:30 AM
allbutjdm

Originally posted by excitid
what causes the rack to go bad.
anyone?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:45 AM
allbutjdm

My boots on steering rack are also leaking.. would this cause all the wobble and clunking that i am having in the front when turn to the left? (97accord 4cyl) everytime i hit a small bump i feel it.. when i turn left slightly at high speeds, i hear a whole mess of clunking and wobbling... anyone shed sum light on this? should i change the rack? and what else? anyone done a rack on a 5th accord? any info/tips will be apprect'd.
thanks,

jerrry
Old 12-31-2003, 11:46 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

be careful if youre boostin an AWD setup. from what i have heard the honda's awd system is very britle...and will break under excessive toque/HP...but if you do successfully do it tell me what you did hehe..