Notices

Replacing Fuel Pump

Old 11-23-2002, 08:20 PM
tilt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Fuel Pump

I'm gonna be replacing the fuel pump on a 91 crx dx. I know the tank has to be dropped to access the fuel pump. It looks pretty straight forward from the diagrams I've looked at, but there are a few things I need cleared up.

1. Do I need anything else besides the fuel pump and fuel strainer/filter? any gaskets?
2. I'm looking at pumps available at autozone and advanceautoparts, can you recommend any particular brand from experience?
3. Have any of you worked on the pump without draining the tank, or is it a bad idea?
4. Are there any sites with a how-to? I've looked but no success.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2002, 09:30 AM
Speed Phreak
Turbomafia

1) No

2) No, aftermarket like holley, walbro, etc are nice.......but stock autozone replacements work just fine.

3) I had to drain out $25 worth of 100 octane to work on mine, so draining $5 worth of the cheap stuff isn't gonna hurt you. Suck it up, and do it. Besides when you go to replace your pump if you don't completely remove the tank from the car, you may have gas pouring out on you when you go to pull the pump.

4) It's not that hard, Make SURE you dicconect the battery. Also make sure you get the fuel level sending unit unplugged from the top of the tank before you start. You'll have to pull up your back seat of get to it. Be gentle on the hoses and pipes for the gas lines, you do not wanna have to replace one. A handy tip is to, just lower the back of the tank down enough to get you pump out, instead of trying to completely remove it. Its less hassle that way, and you only have to dissconnect about 1/2 the hoses going to the tank. Jack the back of the car up on some stands and use a floor jack to raise and lower the tank once you've got everything loose.

HTH

~Steven
Old 11-24-2002, 04:21 PM
tilt

Thanks. I got the fuel pump installed and working
Old 11-24-2002, 10:08 PM
civicgirlie

i thought imports had hatches under the back seat for the fuel pump so you dont have to drop the tank?....my brothers integra does...
Old 11-25-2002, 07:48 AM
tilt

yeah, thats what i thought too but for the crx its on the rear corner of the fuel tank. Maybe it is done that way to possibly save space? since it's such a compact car... dunno