Notices

IT'S ALIVE!!! (LONG...) the trials and tribulations of a hardcore crx owner

Old 11-23-2002, 01:13 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT'S ALIVE!!! (LONG...) the trials and tribulations of a hardcore crx owner

took my busted rex for the first drive in 5 months...yay...skinny of hte story is that i swapped out the old d15b6 for a d16a6 i rebuilt...i used my old distributor off the hf (88-89 used the same units) and bought a junkyard ecu from an si that was sitting up high and not near any water

after i swapped it, it started up and i let it run for half an hour...next time i tried to do it again the car wouldn't start and kept on blowing the #37 pgmfi relay fuse...so i got a junkyard relay and it was also bad ...i then traced every wire that was on that circuit, including the fuel pump to the ecu the whole chassis and engine wiring harnesses...i was about to give up and let a pro do it and some friends of mine from nc (pete and jason) came up and within 3 hours we found the solution (why not try the old ecu again!?! [turns out the ecu shorted after it started so it would never start up again :madfawk:]...then it started and it was leaking fuel and the banjo bolt broke tightening it and it was on a sunday and all dealers part counters are closed and no auto store carries fuel line banjo bolts anymore, and no one had a fuel pressure gauge in stock)...so we swiped one of jason's lude...and it was off and running again...so we got it started and the distbutor died after it ran for anohter half hour...so $90 (used ecu and distributor) and its finally running again...i drove it around the block and it's loud (open header) but it works and my love affair with the rex can continue...now to get the exhaust attached (need flanges welded on the hi flow cat) and get a muffler shop axle back (my tanabe racing medallion axlebakc was stolen off the car but they left hte midpipe :madfawk: ) ...then get new wheel bearings b/c the junkyard knuckles were bad... ( :madfawk: leesburg auto recycler :madfawk: )
Old 11-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

What we go through for our cars! Good work, but you just have to remember- junkyard parts suck, and if you have problems after installing a used part, that part is generally the problem. Good luck keeping it going.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:09 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

So Jaje... you gonna let me pilot it for ECHC so your wife won't get nervous when she sees that inevitable first track incident? [not necessarily with you involved, but it never fails...] j/k Pete and J are trying to see the whole east coast I think...
Old 11-24-2002, 07:07 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
So Jaje... you gonna let me pilot it for ECHC so your wife won't get nervous when she sees that inevitable first track incident? [not necessarily with you involved, but it never fails...] j/k Pete and J are trying to see the whole east coast I think...
they went up to nj 3 weekends ago to help someone wiht a 5g accord h22a swap (they stopped by my place on the way for dinner)...though this is a slow weekend b/c pete is at a skip barber driving school this weekend

in spring next year i'm driving down to petes for a weekend to redo my whole suspension (shocks, springs, bushings, radius arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings replaced with bearings, camber plates for hte fronts, upper ball joing camber adj for the rear, and new front rear antisway bars)...he's got all the tools (press, air hammers, torch, etc.)
Old 11-24-2002, 05:41 PM
WhiteRice

Man, sometimes you just can't win for losing!!
Old 11-24-2002, 08:16 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I'm going through the same **** with my second sol, so I know what it's like. Gotta give you props for sticking with it. But in the end, it will be very worth it!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:43 AM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

sounds like a lot of hard work. glad you got it repaired.
i'm doing my wheels bearing now too. out of no where i have to replace my driver side hub, bearing and lower ball joint.

really sucks.
-----