Notices

what exactly do they do when u get an allignment

Old 11-04-2002, 06:21 PM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what exactly do they do when u get an allignment

ok i took off my camber kits (sprints are junk dont buy em) and now it oversteers very badly and i dont have the money to have it done profesionally right now cause im in the process of buying parts i ****ed up in the accident

what bolts and whatnot do i have to adjust to do a temporary job so i can at least drive it?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:29 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Good luck, it takes lasers and **** to get it right, it's not like you can eye it.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
Good luck, it takes lasers and **** to get it right, it's not like you can eye it.
actually you can do a sufficient job with a piece of string run tight around all four wheels...when you site the string you can see the toe.

professional is typically 60 bucks, but if your tie rods turn you can do a 90% job yourself.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

Originally posted by fujiwara takumi
actually you can do a sufficient job with a piece of string run tight around all four wheels...when you site the string you can see the toe.

professional is typically 60 bucks, but if your tie rods turn you can do a 90% job yourself.
But if your front and rear track are different, you need to compensate for that somehow.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:42 AM
Creep

I was wondering the same thing about an alignment. I just
lowered my car 1.8". Now I need to get an alignment.

When I take it in, what's the procedure? Do I just say,
"Get it close"?

They'll be able to fix the toe right?

With a drop of 1.8" how many degree's will my camber be out?

Or does it vary from car to car?

Hmmm...
Old 11-05-2002, 04:53 AM
jc836

The only things that an alignment shop can adjust on a STOCK Honda will be the Toe-In and maybe Caster. Our cars require a 4 wheel alignment which means the rear is done first. Depending on the drop you have you will need to decide on Camber kits. The string method works on certain race cars, but is far from the best way on a Honda and then rally is only used for Toe-In.
Get a LASER alignment and the printout. This piece of paper will help you find the correct Camber kits for your car. You can look online at both Ingalls and Specialty for the parts.
For example: If the spec for your car is 0 degrees +/-1 degree and you ate at -1.7 degrees then you need a Camber kit that will bring the adjustment under -1.0. I prefer to get it closer to 0.0 but a setting of -0.5 is good. Make sure that both sides are adjusted to the same value of Camber for best overall handling. This example applies both front and rear.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:45 AM
Creep

So how many degrees out would you expect form a 1.8"
drop on average?
Old 11-05-2002, 05:50 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by jc836
The only things that an alignment shop can adjust on a STOCK Honda will be the Toe-In and maybe Caster. Our cars require a 4 wheel alignment which means the rear is done first. Depending on the drop you have you will need to decide on Camber kits. The string method works on certain race cars, but is far from the best way on a Honda and then rally is only used for Toe-In.
Get a LASER alignment and the printout. This piece of paper will help you find the correct Camber kits for your car. You can look online at both Ingalls and Specialty for the parts.
For example: If the spec for your car is 0 degrees +/-1 degree and you ate at -1.7 degrees then you need a Camber kit that will bring the adjustment under -1.0. I prefer to get it closer to 0.0 but a setting of -0.5 is good. Make sure that both sides are adjusted to the same value of Camber for best overall handling. This example applies both front and rear.
i thought you didnt want 0 camber.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:27 AM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

so all i gotta do is adjust the tie rod?

do u think this will compinsate for my ridiculious amounts of oversteer, well not really oversteer but tendency for the wheel to turn itself very easly and squeel the tires every time i take even slight bends?
Old 11-05-2002, 07:28 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by 88hondahatch
so all i gotta do is adjust the tie rod?

do u think this will compinsate for my ridiculious amounts of oversteer, well not really oversteer but tendency for the wheel to turn itself very easly and squeel the tires every time i take even slight bends?
i had that when i put on the camber kit, it was downright dangerous.
my ties were froze nad i didnt feel like dicking with it, so i just took it in.

but if youre smart, the string method works perfectly fine, and will not make your wheels do this:

/ /
/ /

as some had suggested.