Notices

86 crx swap

Old 11-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Lemonhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 crx swap

I bought a 86 crx 1.5 carb. I want to switch to fuel injection what do I need to do for this swap exatly?.........what do I buy is it hard.....?
Old 11-04-2002, 04:45 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

heh, if you have to ask how hard it is, it's probably too hard for you

The following is a list of things you have to, or is highly recommended that you do:

Change out the stock fuel pickup with an Si Unit, put in an in-tank fuel pump [or save the hassle and swap over an entire Si tank.

Change out the fuel hardlines that run under the chassis, the stock lines aren't rated for the pressure, and I believe are different sizes.

Swap out chassis electrical harnesses, or be prepared to read a lot of wiring diagrams and wire it yourself. Same goes for the engine bay harness.

If you're interested in having the PGM-FI status light in the dash, the easiest way is to swap dashes.

I may be missing some things, but that's a pretty good idea of what you're up against. Basically, you're best off starting with an Si, or getting a mostly complete Si for parts, have quite a bit of time, and even more patience.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:37 PM
87Hybrid

That is pretty much all you need, One thing though you will need to remove the dash to replace the fuel lines as they run behind much of the heater and the petal assy.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:07 PM
SlowRexer

i'm in the middle of the swap right now and they're right, you need to pull everything, I wouldn't reccommend it unless you can stand to drive something else on a daily basis for a while because this is definately not a weekend swap unless you've got a friend whos done it before

oh and get a parts car if you are gonna do it either a 1g Si or a 1g teg (swap the d16a1 motor as well)

I would've stuck with carbs but it was actually cheaper for me to go Fi

good luck