Notices

what size tires will fit? (1990 CRX Si)

Old 11-01-2002, 01:29 AM
sounds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size tires will fit? (1990 CRX Si)

I used to get help from the tire shop when choosing, but the good racing-oriented shops are gone (Puget Sound Tire in Seattle used to be great for AutoX tires). Now that we're in the age of internet tire orders, how I do I determine what tires will fit my '90 CRX Si?

Is there a table somewhere for diameter and width possible for a given amount of lowering?

I would assume that smaller diameter tires would give you better torque and faster launch, while larger diameter tires would increase top speed. Any notes on what ranges work best?
Old 11-01-2002, 03:52 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 11-01-2002, 09:48 AM
sounds

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
That's handy, but I've already done a spreadsheet showing the same information.

What I'm after is determining the limitation of my wheel wells and what will fit without scrubbing. There is going to be a maximum diameter that will fit, and anything beyond that is impossible without modifying the body. Also, certain extreme widths probably won't fit even if they're below the maximum tire diameter. So, that's why I thought there might be a chart showing width and diameter for a range of tires that will fit the CRX Si.

There's clearly room in there for larger tires, but I realize it might be a bad idea to go larger. The 1.6l engine is already low in torque compared to muscle cars, so my hunch is that a larger tire will hurt my launch, even though it might increase top speed (not that I'll ever reach the top speed anyway). Advice is this area would be welcome.

Has anyone been keeping track of the largest tires that have been fitted to the CRX?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:37 AM
crxrocks

If I were buying wheels I would go with a 15" rim. Not too big that it kills performance and they are still relatively light.

Chris
Old 11-02-2002, 12:06 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

A 205/50-15 tire will fit with no problems. If you want to run some R-compounds you should have no trouble squeezing a 225/50-14 or 225/45-15 in there. Any larger than that and there's not really much point.