Notices

need advice on replacing some suspension parts

Old 10-30-2002, 06:03 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on replacing some suspension parts

Ok, I have a 91 CRX with 273,000 miles on it. I autocross it, and it's my daily driver. My question is this:

I'm planning to rework the suspension with bushings, balljoints, sway bar, that kinda thing. But...What about the UPPER front ball joints? I know they're non-removable, but how does one tell if they're going bad? I'm just thinking that, especially since the car's taking the abuse of racing as well as just being driven, would it be a good idea to replace the upper control arm/balljoint assemblies as well as the lower ball joints? thanks guys
Old 10-30-2002, 07:13 PM
POONTANG
back like scoliosis

couldn't hurt

honestly though, i have no experience with this
Old 10-31-2002, 04:29 AM
jc836

With th mileage you have I will make the following suggestions based on the idea that this is both a track and daily driver:
1. Replace ONLY the rear traling arm bushings with polyurethane along with the lower control arm bushings. Also replace with poly ALL of the sway bar bushings front and rear including front end links. If buying an aftermarket rear bar-get poly with it. You should seriously consider replacing the rear upper arms and other rubber links with new ones from Honda (~$50 each).
2. Front suspension-replace anything that is rubber with new rubber pieces from Honda. DO NOT use poly except for the radius rod bushings or you will over stiffen the front of the car.
3. You do not need to replace any of the shock mounting rubber pieces with poly either-just install new rubber ones.
4. The front ball joints can be checked by you or a tech. The test is very simple-you grab the wheel on the top and bottom while it is off the ground and see if there is any in-out movement. I trust this to the techs myself.
If you are in the least concerned-it is time for new upper arms and it is a good time for the ball joints as you will be replacing the upper anchor bolts anyway with new rubber insert units.
5. How about all of the wheel bearings, hubs and studs-they do go over time and again with the mileage it is not a bad idea to update the studs anyway-with factory parts.

Why am I suggesting this? Because I am in the midst of redoing my 89 CRX Si to road race next year. Every piece I have mentioned will get changed out over the winter on this car as it has 175,000 road only miles on it in North/South Carolina and the rubber on the exterior was not as bad in some places as the rear suspension.

Got questions-drop me an e-mail.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:21 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I think the balljoints can come out, I hear it was only the 88 that had them welded in. I think its just that Honda doesn't sell ball joints seperate from the UCAs so I think that is the problem.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:58 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

chilton's claims theyre non removable in both of my cars, after a little impact wrenching they popped right out though.