Notices

car stalled out

Old 05-23-2008, 11:13 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I missed this in the previous posts, but did you actually check for spark? Easiest is to pull out a plug boot and put a spare in there tight, hold it to a ground and look for spark while someone cranks the engine. I'd just leave the gap close to specs and do it at night, so you're sure to see even a weak spark.

If there is no spark, and the coil resistance specs check out, I'd lean toward the Ignitor/ICM. If you do see spark, and you have fuel (say smelled it, might pull a plug after cranking to confirm) than I'd assume it's a timing issue.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 AM
941crx
junkyard junkie

changed the distributor with one I pulled from a junk yard and started up, idles nice and everything so well see if its fixed now.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
941crx
junkyard junkie

Well.. ran nice, had the CEL come on, checked it out was the vss, happened again today, however it went into limp mode I'm guessing seeing how it was running rough, pulled over turned it off checked it out, vss code again, now it wont start AGAIN. It was a pulled cluster from a junk yard as mine had a bad fuel gauge and temp gauge, and I'm sure the plug for the speedo is dirty, I'm going to clean it but don't see how it's related to it not starting up AGAIN. I'll let you all know what happens but this is getting a little annoying now..thanks for the help so far though at least it's getting taken care of.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:27 PM
941crx
junkyard junkie

quick thing I forgot to say, if it was the timing then it wouldn't run randomly correct? like it's randomly getting spark which I just don't get, I put in a new dizzy and it ran great for two days and bam started acting up again. I'm completely stumped and yeah it's a dual point system but it's not flooding out unless I constantly try to start but when it fires up and isn't acting like this it starts instantly like it was brand new.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 AM
ChrisS

Look at the wiring connections (and wires leading) to all sensors in the distributor.

If the VSS sensor in the cluster is giving you problems, look at the ground connection (black wire on outside edge of connector) to the cluster itself (and clean the connection at the cluster with electrical contact cleaner).
Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
941crx
junkyard junkie

Yeah I cleaned that out it's not coming up, I went ahead and tried to start it up today, and heard a pop noise each time I tried to turn it over after the 3rd time I quit, I called around and heard a few times to check the timing belt, god knows how old it is with the odometer being over 200k I'm sure it wasn't replaced by the last owner the car was trashed when I got it. Think the belt may have finally gone?

heck it's turning into a rebuild thread the rate I'm going.